* [9fans] awk doesn't work on the bitsy
@ 2001-09-07 16:50 Mike Haertel
From: Mike Haertel @ 2001-09-07 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm in the process of setting up a standalone bitsy environment
which doesn't need an external file server to be useful.  I just
discovered that awk doesn't work when I attempted to build a
kernel running the build tools natively on the bitsy.

The first, obvious fix was that the APE system calls library was
coded wrong.  With this fix, many APE programs, including troff
and ghostscript, work on the bitsy:

diff /sys/src/ape/lib/ap/arm.old/mkfile /sys/src/ape/lib/ap/arm/mkfile
9c9,10
< 		echo TEXT _$I'(SB)', 1, '$-4' > _$I.s
---
> 		echo TEXT _$I'(SB)', 1, '$0' > _$I.s
> 		echo 'MOVW R0, 0(FP)' >> _$I.s

However, awk still doesn't work, and neither does aux/tr2post.
In both cases the symptom is the same: the program exits quietly
producing no output.

Before I put any more time into this, has anybody else already
solved the same problem?

* Re: [9fans] awk doesn't work on the bitsy
@ 2001-09-13 12:26 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-09-13 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I got awk working on the bitsy. I also had to fix this problem
with the system calls, but i'm disheartened to learn the fix didn't
go out in the distribution.  We've done a major rearrangement
of the APE source tree since then, so it's a little hard to figure
out what has changed.  I remember, though, that awk worked
right after I fixed that problem and continues to work now.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] awk doesn't work on the bitsy
@ 2001-09-07 17:06 Mike Haertel
From: Mike Haertel @ 2001-09-07 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ok, replying to myself.  i just found the following console
message:
395: tr2post killed because no swap configured

so, this explains why tr2post didn't work.  however awk appears
to remain a mystery.