* Re: [9fans] seperate cpu and terminal on one box?
@ 2001-09-13  7:20 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2001-09-13  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I may be missing something, but I'm using a regular cpu
kernel as a 2nd terminal. I just bind additional devices
and start rio. Although that means that the cpu server
runs on my name, that's ok for my small plan 9 network.

If you want such kind of setting I may send you whatever
config file you want by mail.

hth

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1874 bytes --]

From: anothy@cosym.net
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] seperate cpu and terminal on one box?
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 19:14:59 -0400

i know somebody did something at some point to allow a
single box to act both as a cpu server and a terminal,
disassociating the console from the cpu server. i seem to
remember this being done for 2nd edition, but it may have
been for 3rd, or it may have been updated. i believe this
consisted of a set of patches to the cpu/terminal kernel.

i've scrounged the 'net and deja archives, but can't find
information about this. i'm quite interested. anyone info
would be greatly appreciated.
-α.

* Re: [9fans] seperate cpu and terminal on one box?
@ 2001-09-13  7:21 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-09-13  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>I'm using a regular cpu
>kernel as a 2nd terminal. I just bind additional devices
>and start rio.

CPU server is defined as more powerful machines to do something heavy
work in Plan 9 system.   The recent rapid developement of CPU powers
and downing costs both of CPU and memory may demand us to change
that difinition to machines which must be run all the time for some
purpose.  :-)   So, the present day constitutes of minimum Plan 9 system
may be considered as a fileserver, an auth server and terminals(including
CPU server). ^_^

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] seperate cpu and terminal on one box?
@ 2001-09-13  4:02 ` Steve Kotsopoulos
From: Steve Kotsopoulos @ 2001-09-13  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: anothy

you can find vadim's post at http://www.fywss.com/plan9/info/misc/cpu_terminal

@ 2001-09-13  0:00 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2001-09-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It was Vadim Antonov, aka Mr Grail.

HTH.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1703 bytes --]

From: anothy@cosym.net
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 19:14:59 -0400

@ 2001-09-12 23:14 anothy