* Re: [9fans] aux/vga: vgactlw <type nvidia>: bad arg in system call. Please Help!
@ 2001-09-13 19:50 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-09-13 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, jamoram

You're most of the way there.
You need to get
http://users.bigpond.net.au/nwaples/binaries/9pcdisk
and copy it to your 9fat partition.  To do this, put
it on a floppy disk and then at the Plan 9 shell prompt do

	% a:
	% 9fat:
	% cp /n/a:/9pcdisk /n/9fat/9pcdisk

Notice there's no colon after /n/9fat.
After you do that, you should be able to
reboot and the new 9pcdisk will know about
nvidia cards.  Sorry it's so convoluted.
The nvidia support is new and we haven't
gotten a full dist out since then.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] aux/vga: vgactlw <type nvidia>: bad arg in system call. Please Help!
@ 2001-09-15 10:59 ` Jesus A. Mora
From: Jesus A. Mora @ 2001-09-15 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox; +Cc: 9fans

On 13 Sep 01, at 15:50, Russ Cox wrote:

> You're most of the way there.
> You need to get
> http://users.bigpond.net.au/nwaples/binaries/9pcdisk
> and copy it to your 9fat partition.  To do this, put
> it on a floppy disk and then at the Plan 9 shell prompt do
>
> 	% a:
> 	% 9fat:
> 	% cp /n/a:/9pcdisk /n/9fat/9pcdisk

It woks! Many thanks, Russ :)
I had copied 9pcdisk, but to the wrong place (/386/9pcdisk, I think).
When it proved not to work, I got stuck. I even't didn't know how
9fat is mounted or bound. Plan 9 is a rather odd thing, quite
different from the OSes I used to work with, and is full of surprises
for me ;)
Now Plan 9 is running on my box at home and I having a very fun
time, trying to deal with its inusual interface and editors -I miss my
old and beloved vi :)

>  Sorry it's so convoluted.
> The nvidia support is new and we haven't
> gotten a full dist out since then.

I think it's an errata in the Install document. It states you must
copy your new/customized vga and vgadb files, but does not make
any reference to the new kernel and the way to install it.

Again, thanks a lot, Russ.

JAMM

* [9fans] aux/vga: vgactlw <type nvidia>: bad arg in system call. Please Help!
@ 2001-09-13 19:31 Jesus A. Mora
From: Jesus A. Mora @ 2001-09-13 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I'm a newcomer to Plan 9, so I need a little help from those more
familiar with it.
At last, I've got Plan 9 installed in my hard disk and booting up. To
achieve this, since my nVidia GeForce2 MX is not supported in the
original distribution, I had to find and download the stuff required for
this, in http://www.pobox.com/~nickw/. Also, I had to repartition
my disks and reinstall Win2k, so you can imagine how eager I am
to get Plan 9 running.
Well, the installation ran fine with the new boot floppy. As
expected, I had to replace both /lib/vgadb and /386/bin/aux/vga on
the system, once booted from hard disk.

But when the system booted again and login as glenda, that's what
I got:

	init: starting /bin/rc
	ndb/dns: can't read my ip address			# to fix later
	aux/vga: vgactlw <type nvidia>: bad arg in system call   # <<<<
	rio: can't open display: initdisplay: /dev/draw/new:
		no frame buffer
	init: rc exit status: rio 10: display open
	init: startup /bin/rc

and got a shell prompt.

I thought I was missing anything, so I replaced also 9pcdisk by the
new one downloaded. But no luck: it kept complaining as before.

So please, any advice or hint will be welcome.
Thanks in advance,

JAMM

PS: very sorry and shocked for the terrible events in New York,
Washington and elsewhere. I couldn't believe anything alike can
happen.