* Re: [9fans] SiS630, buying a Plan 9 laptop
@ 2001-10-11 22:36 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-10-11 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There's no current support for the SiS630.

We don't really have an explicit plan to
add support for this or that chipset --
instead, as people get machines they want to
use, drivers get written.  For example, I
wouldn't be surprised to see support for the
SuperSavage/IXC16 or the ATI Rage Mobility 128
in the next distribution, since I want to be
able to run Plan 9 on specific laptops with
these chipsets.

The SiS630 probably isn't hard to add support
for, judging by the XFree86 driver; someone near
such a card just has to do it.  The situation
is a little complicated for the SiS chipsets
because they use system memory instead of
normal video memory, and I'm not sure what
the implications there are.

Russ

* [9fans] SiS630, buying a Plan 9 laptop
@ 2001-10-11 22:07 paurea
From: paurea @ 2001-10-11 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am going to buy a laptop and I would like it to be supported.  I
have seen one I like (and is cheap), but haven't been able to run rio
on it (the look of the man on the shop as I edited wrote down the dump
and edited the vgadb was really awkward). The dump of the video memory
is nonsense (the only thing readable is something "IBM COMPATIBLE"),
but I know it has a SiS630 chipset and with:

	link=vga
	hwgc=s3hwgc
	ramdac=sc15025-80
	link=s3clock clock=ch9294-g
	ctlr=s3805 link=ibm8514

this configuration (I tried them all just in case) it starts rio, but
it is reflected three times and really distorted (not readable at all).

Is there any support for the SiS630 chipset? at all. Any plans for it?.
--
                 Saludos,
                         Gorka

"Curiosity sKilled the cat"