* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-15 19:14 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2001-10-15 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Belkin recently put on the market some cheap "classic"
> 3-button PS/2 mice and keyboards without "Internet" keys.
> They aren't quite as nice to operate as some of the all-
> time best designs, but they do the job well enough and
> the price is hard to beat.

I have a Belkin USB mouse which is `classic'.

My fave mouse at the moment is the one I have at
home.  I bought it at Limbo Lounge before they went
bust (they were a division of Wet Seal with a shop at the
local mall).  This mouse is much better shaped to fit in
my hand; it's not quite a depraz, but a lot closer than
anything else on the market.  Both it and the mouse
mat that came with it are decorated in a stunning
pink/purple leopard spot pattern.  :-)

I'll put pics on the web when I get a chance.

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-15 15:53     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-10-15 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dan Cross wrote:
> Also, the wingman gaming mouse looks nice, ...

aux/mouse doesn't like it.  I haven't had time to investigate why.

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-10-15  9:11   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-10-15  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Gene Garbutt wrote:
> And what would you recommend as a "good 3-button mouse"?
> In a similar vein, any keyboard recommendations?

It's actually harder to find good mice and keyboards than
it used to be; current models nearly all have extra fluff
that Plan 9 and other non-Windows OSes don't support.

@ 2001-10-15  7:43     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-10-15  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dan Cross wrote:
> Also, the wingman gaming mouse looks nice, but I haven't been able to
> find one.

There's one on the other side of town.  I plan to buy one today.

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-15  1:21 rsc
From: rsc @ 2001-10-15  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The S35 is easy to find, but I prefer the
wider buttons on the S38.  My fingers are
wide enough that the S35 is slightly
uncomfortable.

(The S35 is a rounded rectangle, while
the S38 is more of a rounded triangle.)

Russ

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-15  1:09 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-10-15  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I bought 5 Logitec 3-button mice (S35) a week ago in Japan for PS/2
port.  Isn't it impossible in other area?

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2628 bytes --]

From: William Josephson <wkj-despam@eecs.harvard.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:24:50 -0400

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 09:11:08AM -0700, Gene Garbutt wrote:
> And what would you recommend as a "good 3-button mouse"? In a similar vein,
> any keyboard recommendations?

I've had good luck with the squarish Logitech mice.  I tend to buy
them at the MIT flea market whenever I get the chance.  You can
probably find them online, too, although I didn't have much luck
when I looked recently.

Watch out for failing mice, though.  I spent a good month this summer
thinking Acme, Rio, or the mouse driver was behaving a wee bit odd
only to find out that my frustrations were due to a bad mouse.  Russ
says he has had a similar experience.  A great many minor annoyances
disappeared when the mouse actually worked.

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-14  2:51   ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2001-10-14  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 07:54:20PM -0600, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

>     >> The trick is finding one with a reasonable flavour of laptop
>     >> wrapped around it :-(
>
>     Russ> No, just find a laptop with a PS/2 port.
>
> Just find an aircraft with enough room to drive an external mouse.

I'd settle for an airplane with enough room to avoid shearing the
display off when the guy in front of me decides it is a good idea to
lean back.

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-14  1:54 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2001-10-14  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

    >> The trick is finding one with a reasonable flavour of laptop
    >> wrapped around it :-(

    Russ> No, just find a laptop with a PS/2 port.

Just find an aircraft with enough room to drive an external mouse.

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-13 20:16 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-10-13 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-10-13 20:02 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2001-10-13 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-10-12 19:54 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-10-12 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I hate to add to the traffic, but I swear by these
mice, and here's one for cheap:

http://www.directron.com/dell3.html

It's $4 but there's a minimum $10 order
and shipping is another $10, so it's not
so cheap, but you can search to find more
like this.

Make sure you try the keyboard before you
get it -- people either swear by or swear at
the PFU happy hacking keyboards.  I'm definitely
in the latter category.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-12 18:50     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-10-12 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dan Cross wrote:
> I like the Logitech 3-button mice; the first mouse is cheap and good.

That's the one.

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-12 18:33   ` Dan Cross
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-10-12 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <GCEEJJABKGHAHOLCGAAKCEFJCBAA.ggarbutt@earthlink.net> you write:
>And what would you recommend as a "good 3-button mouse"? In a similar vein,
>any keyboard recommendations?

I like the Logitech 3-button mice; the first mouse is cheap and good.
Also, the wingman gaming mouse looks nice, but I haven't been able to
find one.  Various others are good; the 3-button Mouseman, for instance.

Also, the Sun crossbow mice look nice, but I can't remember if they
have a non-USB model.

As for keyboards, in my opinion, you can't do better than the PFU
Happy Hacking keyboard.  http://www.pfuca.com/

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-12 16:28   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-10-12 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Gene Garbutt wrote:

> And what would you recommend as a "good 3-button mouse"?

Luddite that I am, I bought a Logitech, cordfull, PS2 3 button:

    MODEL: M-CAA43
    P/N: 811439-0000

It's a bit clunky, but it does the job (even on VAIOs).

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-12 16:24   ` William Josephson
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: William Josephson @ 2001-10-12 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 09:11:08AM -0700, Gene Garbutt wrote:
> And what would you recommend as a "good 3-button mouse"? In a similar vein,
> any keyboard recommendations?

I've had good luck with the squarish Logitech mice.  I tend to buy
them at the MIT flea market whenever I get the chance.  You can
probably find them online, too, although I didn't have much luck
when I looked recently.

Watch out for failing mice, though.  I spent a good month this summer
thinking Acme, Rio, or the mouse driver was behaving a wee bit odd
only to find out that my frustrations were due to a bad mouse.  Russ
says he has had a similar experience.  A great many minor annoyances
disappeared when the mouse actually worked.

* RE: [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-12 16:11 ` Gene Garbutt
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Gene Garbutt @ 2001-10-12 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

And what would you recommend as a "good 3-button mouse"? In a similar vein,
any keyboard recommendations?

> I've read the manuals (how came I haven't seen that part on Edit before?)

Edit is new as of the third edition.

> 2button mouse(so chord doesnt work), and "Cut Paste" are far away at the
> top of the column (very distant).

Do yourself a huge favor and buy a good 3-button mouse.
You'll never go back.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-12  7:03 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-10-12  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've never had any problems with the 3Com 3C589 series,
although they're getting hard to find.  The Linksys
cards apparently work well:

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=92&grid=11
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=100&grid=11
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=41&grid=11

Russ

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-12  6:27 ` Carlos Eduardo Lenz
From: Carlos Eduardo Lenz @ 2001-10-12  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

But you could sugest some PCMCIA ethernet cards you've found to be
a good bye (from plan9 point of view)!

Carlos E Lenz
lenz@inf.ufsc.br

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Russ Cox wrote:

> > I've read the manuals (how came I haven't seen that part on Edit before?)
>
> Edit is new as of the third edition.
>
> > 2button mouse(so chord doesnt work), and "Cut Paste" are far away at the
> > top of the column (very distant).
>
> Do yourself a huge favor and buy a good 3-button mouse.
> You'll never go back.
>
> Russ

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-12  6:09 Russ Cox
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-10-12  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-10-12  5:49 ` Carlos Eduardo Lenz
From: Carlos Eduardo Lenz @ 2001-10-12  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've used vi for so much time, I fear to become brain-damaged.
Now seriously, ok, the command language is the definitive way of doing
some things, but acme was the first mouse editor that won me.
And I'm happy with that.

I've read the manuals (how came I haven't seen that part on Edit before?)
and now maybe the only use vi will have from now will be in /etc/fstab!
Good Bye TTY!

As everybody is asking (demanding?!?) something recently, I have a little
sugestion:

There are some commands that do not appear in the per buffer menu nor in
the per column menu, but some of them I use all the time:
2button mouse(so chord doesnt work), and "Cut Paste" are far away at the
top of the column (very distant).

Proposal:
It would be nice to configure the default menu for both coulmn and
buffer setting the environment variables.

I don't know the overhead of doing this, as file operations, but
I guess the cost is some context switching with the /env fs.

Just in case nobody had already that idea.

Carlos E Lenz
lenz@inf.ufsc.br

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 rog@vitanuova.com wrote:

> lenz@inf.ufsc.br wrote:
> > BTW, I dont think I'll learn sam just to do it.
>
> as you've probably found out by now, acme implements almost the entire
> sam command language, so learning sam is probably the best course of
> action!  (it's well worth it IMO, as it's very powerful, and also
> useful to use along with "sam -d" to make changes across many files at
> once.)
>
>   rog.

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-11 13:21 ` Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2001-10-11 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Carlos Eduardo Lenz wrote:

> BTW, I dont think I'll learn sam just to do it.
Please do  not.

-ishwar

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-11 11:17 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-10-11 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

rog@vitanuova.com wrote:
> ... so learning sam is probably the best course of
> action!  (it's well worth it IMO, as it's very powerful, and also
> useful to use along with "sam -d" to make changes across many files at
> once.)

#!/bin/sh

# fido
#
# A sam command to find files that contain a string/regex.
#

B "`type $0 | awk '{print $3}'`"

exit

X/^../,x/^.*\n/g/^.*STRING.*\n/{
}

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-11 10:32 rog
From: rog @ 2001-10-11 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-10-11  7:26 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-10-11  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>But in Inferno it's there and also the source (but is limbo).

>Acme has an Edit command now; it replaces
>/acme/edit.  See the manual page acme(1) for more.
>You want to execute "Edit ,s/Wrong/Right/g".

that's true of the Limbo version as well.

in both cases, it's not only much faster but more powerful.

the design of the old /acme/edit is worth remembering,
since it might be appropriate for something else later.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1536 bytes --]

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 01:29:25 -0400

@ 2001-10-11  5:29 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-10-11  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Acme has an Edit command now; it replaces
/acme/edit.  See the manual page acme(1) for more.

You want to execute "Edit ,s/Wrong/Right/g".

Russ

* [9fans] /acme/edit
@ 2001-10-11  4:30 Carlos Eduardo Lenz
From: Carlos Eduardo Lenz @ 2001-10-11  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Where is it? /sys/doc/acme/acme.ps describes it, but it's not there.
But in Inferno it's there and also the source (but is limbo).

Its the only way I know acme could do the same as :1,$/s/Wrong/Right/g in
vi.
BTW, I dont think I'll learn sam just to do it.

If the info is somewhere else, please send the link, or the Month/Year of
the discussion in 9fans.

Carlos E Lenz
lenz@inf.ufsc.br