* Re: [9fans] A small question..
@ 2001-10-18 14:14 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-10-18 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>I have not set up anonymous ftp etc., so, next question is how do I know
>>that these attempts have succeded or failed?

if it's not enabled (there isn't a -a option in /rc/bin/service/tcp21),
the attempt is logged in /sys/log/ftp but rejected.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2257 bytes --]

To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] A small question..
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 15:45:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001 forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:

> >>Also, in file: /sys/log/ftp
> >>193.252.168.243.1811 user anonymous 193.252.168.243
>
> >>what could it be?
>
> >>Is it that the machine is visible on internet so attempts are being made
> >>to get into it??
>
> yes.  do a reverse lookup on that address.

some addresses can be resolved in reverse lookup but some do not exist!
I have not set up anonymous ftp etc., so, next question is how do I know
that these attempts have succeded or failed?

I also similar entries in file: /sys/log/ssh and
/sys/log/auth

> be sure you've got anonymous ftp set up sensibly if you enable it at all.
How do I that? I have not touched the defaults except the e-mail
setup.

-ishwar

* Re: [9fans] A small question..
@ 2001-10-17 19:45 ` Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2001-10-17 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-10-17 19:12 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-10-17 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>what is dnstcp? Under Linux I can't resolv the address 141.209.9.74??

DNS can run over TCP (and i think there's a rule for
switching to it when the UDP result was too
long and had to be truncated).

it's invoked by /rc/bin/service/tcp53, typically for zone transfers,
but it's also useful for long series of requests to the same server.

* Re: [9fans] A small question..
@ 2001-10-17 19:10 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-10-17 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>Also, in file: /sys/log/ftp
>>193.252.168.243.1811 user anonymous 193.252.168.243

>>what could it be?

>>Is it that the machine is visible on internet so attempts are being made
>>to get into it??

yes.  do a reverse lookup on that address.
be sure you've got anonymous ftp set up sensibly if you enable it at all.
it takes surprisingly little time for someone to stumble across it.
my cable modem gateway was detected shortly after i switched it on
with anonymous ftp from someone in belgium (i hadn't intended to
enable anon. ftp but had it on for convenience when setting it up).

* Re: [9fans] A small question..
@ 2001-10-17 14:54 ` Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2001-10-17 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Russ Cox wrote:

> > aux/listen -t bin/rc/services did the trick, thanks.
>
> Why do you want to run as someone other than none?
Just learning network programming under Plan 9 using 2 stand-alone
cpu-servers.

> > [lp problems]
>
> Suppose you do
>
> 	cat /adm/users | lp -d laser
> 	ls -l / | lp -d laser

the second one. It is not that critical though.
netstat -i  also desn't show any info on connections to Linux box

Also, when looking at logs I saw in file: /sys/log/listen
dnstcp call from 141.209.9.74!2790 to my.ip.add.ress

what is dnstcp? Under Linux I can't resolv the address 141.209.9.74??

Also, in file: /sys/log/ftp
193.252.168.243.1811 user anonymous 193.252.168.243

what could it be?

Is it that the machine is visible on internet so attempts are being made
to get into it??

- ishwar

* Re: [9fans] A small question..
@ 2001-10-17  5:34 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-10-17  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> aux/listen -t bin/rc/services did the trick, thanks.

Why do you want to run as someone other than none?

> [lp problems]

Suppose you do

	cat /adm/users | lp -d laser
	ls -l / | lp -d laser

Which gets printed?

* Re: [9fans] A small question..
@ 2001-10-17  3:34 anothy
From: anothy @ 2001-10-17  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// > does a tcp connection get established both times?
//
// can't tell

try 'netstat' or 'netstat -n' and look for your Linux box's
name or IP address (respectivly). even if you don't get
the timing race just right to see the Open connection, i
think the address'll stick around in the Closed one, too.
ア

* Re: [9fans] A small question..
@ 2001-10-17  2:04 ` Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2001-10-17  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> > aux/listen seems to start the 'listen' process with owner 'none'??
>
> listen(8)

aux/listen -t bin/rc/services did the trick, thanks.

> > sorry for missing word here, I have to type the above command "twice"
> > before it gets spooled on Linux side.
>
> cool.  there are many things you could try.
> does a tcp connection get established both times?

can't tell

> what do the linux logs look like?

no entry in the logs

> what do the plan 9 logs look like?

do not know where to check

> what happens when you do
> 	lp -D -d laser file-to-print
The exact same output is produced in both cases. So, I will let it stay
mystry, just wrote a script lpr that invokes lp two times :-(

-ishwar

* Re: [9fans] A small question..
@ 2001-10-15  3:24 ` Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2001-10-15  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Russ Cox wrote:

> Kill listen | rc.
>
> kill limits itself to processes
> owned by the user invoking it.
aux/listen seems to start the 'listen' process with owner 'none'??

> > Also, I had LaserWriter on a Sparc box used for priting from Plan 9
> > box, it is gone now. I have a hpdeskjet-960c under Linux under BSD
> > type spooler (lpd). I have to type the command
> > 	lp -d laser file-to-print
> >
> > to get the file printed. The /sys/lib/lp/devices entry for the printer
   ^
   twice

@ 2001-10-15  3:16 rsc
From: rsc @ 2001-10-15  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> aux/listen seems to start the 'listen' process with owner 'none'??

listen(8)

> sorry for missing word here, I have to type the above command "twice"
> before it gets spooled on Linux side.

cool.  there are many things you could try.
does a tcp connection get established both times?
what do the linux logs look like?
what do the plan 9 logs look like?
what happens when you do
	lp -D -d laser file-to-print
?

* Re: [9fans] A small question..
@ 2001-10-15  3:14 ` rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-10-15  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you know the PID, just say
    echo kill > /proc/PID/note
a procedure that could be guessed
at by saying
    cat /bin/kill

> How does one get rid of listen process started with
> aux/listen -d bin/rc/services
>
> ps shows it running as
>
> none  90  ... Sleep listen
>
> kill listen | rc does not make it go away, I have been rebooting
> the machine (but there has to be better way!!).
>
> Also, I had LaserWriter on a Sparc box used for priting from Plan 9
> box, it is gone now. I have a hpdeskjet-960c under Linux under BSD
> type spooler (lpd). I have to type the command
> lp -s laser file-to-print
>
> to get the file printed. The /sys/lib/lp/devices entry for the printer
> laser is given below (almos the same as used under Sparc box).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -ishwar
>
> ---
> # 600dpi postscript printer named vogon via BSD LPD printer queue on alice
> #vogon printer-room alice vogon - post+600dpi generic lpdspool lpd - - FIFO
> laser office 141.209.131.81 laser - post+600dpi+nohead generic lpdspool lpd - - FIFO
> ---

* Re: [9fans] A small question..
@ 2001-10-14 21:24 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-10-14 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Kill listen | rc.

kill limits itself to processes
owned by the user invoking it.

> Also, I had LaserWriter on a Sparc box used for priting from Plan 9
> box, it is gone now. I have a hpdeskjet-960c under Linux under BSD
> type spooler (lpd). I have to type the command
> 	lp -s laser file-to-print
>
> to get the file printed. The /sys/lib/lp/devices entry for the printer
> laser is given below (almos the same as used under Sparc box).
>
> Any ideas?

What's the problem here?

* [9fans] A small question..
@ 2001-10-14 19:24 Ish Rattan