* Re: [9fans] fs upgrade
@ 2001-11-05 16:26 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-11-05 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Wouldn't a ream on the target device followed by a raw copy of
> the source into the target work?

Not for growing a pseudo-worm.  You need to expand
the bitmaps at the beginning of the disk.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] fs upgrade
@ 2001-11-09 18:20 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-11-09 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Nov  6 11:54:21 EST 2001, cross@math.psu.edu wrote:
> Cool, thanks Nemo.  btw- on a related note, can anyone at the labs
> comment on how the recent economic situation has affected the various
> fileserver work currently in progress?  Is there anything that the
> community can do to help out?
>
> 	- Dan C.

Funny you should ask - last weekend I took my brain out the box where
it's been hiding for 6 months, dusted it off and set it back onto the
fileserver problem. Then came Monday and back to the administrivia...

A lot has changed in the meantime so it's almost like starting from scratch.
I appreciate the offer of help, if something comes up that doesn't rely on
having our current environemnt I'll let you know.

* Re: [9fans] fs upgrade
@ 2001-11-06 16:53 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-11-06 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <20011106070855.6A0ED199B5@mail.cse.psu.edu> you write:

@ 2001-11-06  7:08 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2001-11-06  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If forsyth finds out where he had the code to grow I'm willing to
merge it into the ide patch for the fs kernel. At least, that
would let us grow before something better gets integrated (?)
into the official fs code.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2669 bytes --]

From: Dan Cross <cross@math.psu.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] fs upgrade
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 15:03:09 -0500 (EST)

In article <20011105102049.E0C8B199B5@mail.cse.psu.edu> you write:
>you can concatenate the new device on the end, but if
>it's a pseudo-worm (f) you'll need to run a special kernel
>to initialise it first.  it can normally be initialised only by ream,
>but of course you don't want to do that.  i've probably got
>the code to do it somewhere since i've done it several times.

It'd be really nice if, instead of a special kernel, I could do
this from a standalone terminal with a small suite of tools designed
to manipulate file server disk images.  Particularly nice would be
the ability to do copies from one *worm volume to another (resizing
as needed), and the ability to delete old files from a pseudo-worm
(cf, to combat the undergraduate student who downloads 20 gigs of
porn or `WaReZ' or something and fills up a significant percentage
of the department's dump space).

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] fs upgrade
@ 2001-11-05 20:03 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-11-05 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-11-05 17:12 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-11-05 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the bitmap is at the end of the partition

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1704 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:26:15 -0500

@ 2001-11-05 10:27 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2001-11-05 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-11-05 10:25 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-11-05 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you can concatenate the new device on the end, but if
it's a pseudo-worm (f) you'll need to run a special kernel
to initialise it first.  it can normally be initialised only by ream,
but of course you don't want to do that.  i've probably got
the code to do it somewhere since i've done it several times.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4271 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 284 bytes --]

I think you just have to copy the old device into the
bigger one; the fs kernel would note a resize and simply
adjust the new limits and keep on burning the worm.

However, since I tried with two disks of the same size and
they were ide, I'd wait for  acks/nacks from others.

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2381 bytes --]

From: anothy@cosym.net
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] fs upgrade
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 14:48:23 -0500

okay, so i've got this file server. given my
space and money constraints, it's a pseudo-worm,
running off a single 36GB SCSI disk. said disk is
nearing capacity.

as one might imagine, i'd like to add capacity to
my file server. how do i do so? i'm particularly
interested in how to do so without loss of all my
history, and, if possible, without wasting a disk
of size equal to my current fs.

i've heard tell on this list of people upgrading
file servers, changing jukeboxes and retaining the
history, and so on. the common response seems to
be "it's not too hard." great. so please describe
the procedure to someone interested in doing it.

the above is a hypothetical question. i do actually
have the disk and box, but havn't set up the file
server yet. i want to know the process for upgrades
before i set up my file server with _any_ set size
for storage. so... anyone?
ア

* Re: [9fans] fs upgrade
@ 2001-11-05  7:34 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2001-11-05  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think you just have to copy the old device into the
bigger one; the fs kernel would note a resize and simply
adjust the new limits and keep on burning the worm.

However, since I tried with two disks of the same size and
they were ide, I'd wait for  acks/nacks from others.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2381 bytes --]

From: anothy@cosym.net
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 14:48:23 -0500

[...]

* [9fans] fs upgrade