* Re: [9fans] Trying ti install Plan 9
@ 2001-11-10 19:46 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-11-10 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Nov 10 14:27:21 EST 2001, jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> I'd be interested to know what problems there might be (or have been).
> Is the Tyan Thunder K7 (S2462) still he only dual-Athlon motherboard?
> I didn't have a happy time with Tyan products in the past.

I can partly answer my own questions. There is a cheaper Tyan motherboard,
Tiger MP (S2460), which doesn't have the on-board dual 3Com ethernet and
Adaptec SCSI controllers.

* Re: [9fans] Trying ti install Plan 9
@ 2001-11-10 20:32 ` Vincent van Gelderen
From: Vincent van Gelderen @ 2001-11-10 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Saturday, November 10, 2001, 8:46:39 PM, you wrote:
> On Sat Nov 10 14:27:21 EST 2001, jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
>> I'd be interested to know what problems there might be (or have been).
>> Is the Tyan Thunder K7 (S2462) still he only dual-Athlon motherboard?
>> I didn't have a happy time with Tyan products in the past.

> I can partly answer my own questions. There is a cheaper Tyan motherboard,
> Tiger MP (S2460), which doesn't have the on-board dual 3Com ethernet and
> Adaptec SCSI controllers.

I'm going to build a system around the Tiger MP for my private use
in the near future. This may take a while because not all the
parts I selected are readily available in the Netherlands.
I will keep this group informed about my efforts to plan9 it.
(Was that a verb?)

--
Best regards,
Vincent van Gelderen (v-i-n-z@zonnet.nl)

* Re: [9fans] Trying ti install Plan 9
@ 2001-11-10 22:02 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-11-10 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <20011110194642.3C9D019A36@mail.cse.psu.edu> you write:
>I can partly answer my own questions. There is a cheaper Tyan motherboard,
>Tiger MP (S2460), which doesn't have the on-board dual 3Com ethernet and
>Adaptec SCSI controllers.

Oh cool; I'll check it out.  Components are so cheap these days maybe
it's worth it to just buy one and try....

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Trying ti install Plan 9
@ 2001-11-19  9:57   ` William S.
From: William S. @ 2001-11-19  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am also in the Netherlands. I would be interested in hearing back
what parts you settled on and where you got them from.

Bill
Amsterdam, NL

@ 2001-11-19 20:27     ` Vincent van Gelderen
From: Vincent van Gelderen @ 2001-11-19 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Monday, November 19, 2001, 10:57:33 AM, William wrote:
WS> I am also in the Netherlands. I would be interested in hearing back
WS> what parts you settled on and where you got them from.

WS> Bill
WS> Amsterdam, NL

WS> v-i-n-z@zonnet.nl (Vincent van Gelderen) wrote in message news:<168913022.20011110213214@zonnet.nl>...

>> On Saturday, November 10, 2001, 8:46:39 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> I'm going to build a system around the Tiger MP for my private use
>> in the near future. This may take a while because not all the
>> parts I selected are readily available in the Netherlands.
>> I will keep this group informed about my efforts to plan9 it.
>> (Was that a verb?)

After I buy the stuff, I'll put up a short write-up
on my webpage. I'll supply anyone interested with
the finer details like supplier, price, conditions,
what have you. Hope to complete all of this in the
next few weeks.

--
Best regards,
Vincent (v-i-n-z@zonnet.nl)

@ 2001-11-10 19:26 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-11-10 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Nov 10 13:40:21 EST 2001, cross@math.psu.edu wrote:
> Speaking of AMD chips....  Has anyone tried Plan 9 (both file server
> and terminal/CPU server kernels) with recent AMD chips with DDR RAM?
> Will the CPU server kernel work correctly with a dual processor AMD
> machine with DDR memory?  It seems that there was some problems with
> this in other OS's until recently.

I'd be interested to know what problems there might be (or have been).
Is the Tyan Thunder K7 (S2462) still he only dual-Athlon motherboard?
I didn't have a happy time with Tyan products in the past.

--jim

* Re: [9fans] Trying ti install Plan 9
@ 2001-11-10 18:39 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-11-10 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <20011110124522.E030F19A85@mail.cse.psu.edu> you write:
>yes, although i've found recently that it's hard to get new
>components that aren't ludicrously fast for use in a terminal
>(assuming you aren't doing a lot of real-time 3D graphics).
>i previously used 350 to 500Mhz K6-2, but now the worst
>i can get seems to be 850Mhz Duron.  still, there is some scope
>above that for a faster CPU server, and of course you can possibly
>pick up some `slow' cpu discarded by a Windows or Linux upgrade.

Really?  I can't even find anything that slow; the slowest I can
come across is a 1GHz processor.  Go figure.

@ 2001-11-10 12:50 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-11-10 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>I guess the cpu/auth server can get by being "headless":
>>not requiring a monitor, video card. No HDD is needed,
>>either.

i think the BIOS will usually demand a video card, but it needn't
be a particularly good one, and indeed, since it is usually run
in a basic CGA mode, it needn't be one that supports plan 9 graphics.
i've used ISA, PCI, and AGP cards depending on what i had in my
old-or-unsupported cards box.

it's the same for the file server.

@ 2001-11-10 12:23 ` William S .
From: William S . @ 2001-11-10 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On the same note. In trying to be minimal and keep the costs low.
Any recommendations on what to get for cpu's, motherboards, etc
for,

a. cpu/auth server
b. file server
c. terminal

I guess the cpu/auth server can get by being "headless":
not requiring a monitor, video card. No HDD is needed,
either.

The file server, same as above except requiring a HDD.

The terminal, just cpu, video card.

@ 2001-11-09 10:07 dReamh