* Re: [9fans] problems with 3c905
@ 2001-11-13 22:45 anothy
From: anothy @ 2001-11-13 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'm not sure about the error message you're getting, but the
symptoms of sending bot not noticing recipt of packets sounds
like what i get every time i (or the system) get the IRQ of any
ethernet card wrong. the system gets the port right, so can tell
the card things, but doesn't "see" the card telling the system it
has something for it.

i believe the 905s are supposed to auto-detect irq, but i
wouldn't be the least bit suprised if the embeded thingy is
different enough to get that wrong.
ア

* Re: [9fans] problems with 3c905
@ 2001-11-13 23:15 ` Martin Harriss
From: Martin Harriss @ 2001-11-13 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks, I'll follow that lead -- I haven't yet discovered how to get in
to the BIOS setup on this system to see if there's anything funky with
the PCI settings.

Martin

@ 2001-11-14  4:32   ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-11-14  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 06:15:29PM -0500, Martin Harriss wrote:

> Thanks, I'll follow that lead -- I haven't yet discovered how to get in
> to the BIOS setup on this system to see if there's anything funky with
> the PCI settings.

If you haven't solved it yet, I seem to recall having to switch IRQ 10
to Legacy mode in the BIOS (or somesuch - the machine is 60km from
here but I can check tonight) before my DELL behaved itself.

++L

* Re: [9fans] problems with 3c905
@ 2001-11-13 23:48 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-11-13 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The plain 905 had some bugs, we may not be dealing with them properly.
Is it on a 10Mbps or 100Mbps network? There is a receive threshold problem
with the 905 at 10Mbps. The code is supposed to deal with it but perhaps
doesn't. Look for the comment
		 * 10MUpldBug.
in etherelnk3reset().

The 905 (if I remember correctly, I don't have the manual handy) has 3
ways it can be used - via the FIFO like the 509, simple busmastering like
the 595 and full busmastering like, well, the 905. You can try forcing the
card to use one of the other methods (it will defualt to full busmastering)
by playing with the code which switches on the device id in the
etherelnk3reset() routine.

On Tue Nov 13 17:22:23 EST 2001, martin@Princeton.EDU wrote:
> I'm having some odd problems with what appears to be a 3C905-TX ethernet
> interface (PCI ID 9050) as supplied built in to the system board on a
> Dell Optiplex GXi.  Plan 9 is installed as a stand-alone terminal with a
> kfs on the local disk.
>
> After entering the user name and passwd I get the error message "#l0:
> sataus 0x803, diag 0x2000" (presumably this is the first time the system
> touches the network hardware.)  Perusal of the code indicates that this
> is an "rxUnderrun" and "shouldn't happen."  I also see this error if I
> disconnect the network cable during a boot.
>
> The hardware seems to be in order.  It certainly worked when I had NT
> installed on the system in question.  I see link lights at both ends,
> and the activity light on the system indicates that the hardware is
> seeing traffic on the network.
>
> If I try to ping, I see the activity light on the corresponding port on
> the hub flash about once a second, as one might expect.  But the
> interface doesn't appear to receive anything; the arp cache shows that
> it is WAITing to resolve the address of the system that I am trying to
> ping to.
>
> I've applied all the patches except the last two (which I don't believe
> contain any ethernet updates.)
>
> Any ideas???
>
> Martin

* [9fans] problems with 3c905