* Re: [9fans] booting
@ 2001-11-28 15:09 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-11-28 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

no, the kernel never loaded itself, we were never x86-savvy enough
to write assembler that would move the image up into extended
memory while in 16-bit mode.

* Re: [9fans] booting
@ 2011-09-15 14:25   ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2011-09-15 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > does 9load do enough to boot the nix 64-bit kernel?

> And are there instructions for bootstrapping such a nix system?
> It builds fine here now, but I have no idea how/what to put on disk to
> make it boot.

The PXE bootloader seems to be in /sys/src/nix/w/pxeload.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] booting
@ 2011-09-15 14:24   ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2011-09-15 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Not yet, if you're willing to be a test subject head over to nix-dev
and we can work through the steps for you and add a document
explaining the process.

Noah

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Christian Neukirchen
<chneukirchen@gmail.com> wrote:
> quanstro@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) writes:
>
>> does 9load do enough to boot the nix 64-bit kernel?
>>
>> - erik
>
> And are there instructions for bootstrapping such a nix system?
> It builds fine here now, but I have no idea how/what to put on disk to
> make it boot.
>
> --
> Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

* Re: [9fans] booting
@ 2011-09-15 14:20 ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2011-09-15 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

No. Compile an npxeload from /sys/src/nix/w/pxeload. That should work.
If it doesn't file an issue.

Noah

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:27 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> does 9load do enough to boot the nix 64-bit kernel?
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] booting
@ 2011-09-15 14:08 ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2011-09-15 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

quanstro@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) writes:

> does 9load do enough to boot the nix 64-bit kernel?
>
> - erik

And are there instructions for bootstrapping such a nix system?
It builds fine here now, but I have no idea how/what to put on disk to
make it boot.

--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

* [9fans] booting
@ 2011-09-15 13:27 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-09-15 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-11-28 15:45 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2001-11-28 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry, I was trying to say that looks like the kernel had to setup its
boot page table, etc. before 9load arrived. ---I was not referring
to loading the kernel; again, sorry if the text says that.

In any case, I'd love to see the answer to your question  ☺.

* [9fans] booting
@ 2001-11-28 14:55 andrey
From: andrey @ 2001-11-28 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm looking at the p9 bootstrap sequence (mostly trying to get
acquainted with the asm) and I see lots of similarities between

/sys/src/boot/pc/l.s
and
/sys/src/pc/9/l.s

francisco balestros indicates in his 'notes on p9' that the kernel may
have done the loading itself in a previous reincarnation of the system
(page 32 of his notes, right on top).. if that indeed is true, how was
the bootstrap sequence organized then?

andrey

* Re: [9fans] Booting
@ 2000-11-26 19:50 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-11-26 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

  I've just downloaded plan 9, made the disk, burnt the 50mb file to an
  iso9660 CD, and each time I boot the floppy, I get a different problem.
  Last time, it was "exception/interrupt 14", this time, it's stalling
  after saying "dev A0 port 170 config 8080 capabilities 0700 mwdma
  0007".  Any ideas?

If you have a network card configured, disable it
by removing the ether0 line in a:\plan9.ini.
I had some problems similar to ones you describe
when using a 3c905 that the driver hadn't seen before:
it was treating it as an earlier card, and spinning waiting
for a bit to clear that never would.

Typing ^t ^t p (ctl-t, ctl-t, p) during the stall may
print the kernel's version of ps (if interrupts aren't
disabled).

Russ

* [9fans] Booting
@ 2000-11-23 10:18 Jim Phillips