* Re: [9fans] plumb
@ 2001-12-02  3:33 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-12-02  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You're right. There's still plenty of interesting research to do
in the design of name spaces.  We have a long list of issues that
we'd like to address, this being one of them.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] plumb
@ 2001-12-02  3:31   ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2001-12-02  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> a lot of time involved and it took two versions (Inferno and
> Plan 9) to get a design I was comfortable with.

I'm still nervous that the app and the programs that plumber launches
have unrelated namspaces.

In a full blown Actor style system, there would be closures that made
it all work, but maybe Plan 9 could pass the information around by hand.

* Re: [9fans] plumb
@ 2001-12-02  3:10 ` rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-12-02  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

HelpYou would be mostly right.  HelpCertainly B grew from
the idea that one program should tell another what to do.
HelpWhether it's natural is not for me to judge; also there was
a lot of time involved and it took two versions (Inferno and
Plan 9) to get a design I was comfortable with.

-Helprob

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1693 bytes --]

From: "Boyd Roberts" <boyd@fr.inter.net>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] plumb
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 00:57:32 +0100

HelpWould I be right in surmising that plumb was a natural
progression from B?

Or was it an independent thing?

* [9fans] plumb
@ 2001-12-01 23:57 Boyd Roberts