* [9fans] plan9 file server
@ 2001-12-13 22:54 William Gunnells
From: William Gunnells @ 2001-12-13 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Pleae help I'm trying to setup the file server via the
>instruction from WIKI and its not working.
>
>I left off in the instructions here...
>assuming you use the same setup I did earlier, type
>the following at the standalone CPU/auth server
>console:
>
>        srv il!lance
>        mount -c /srv/il!lance /n/lance
>        cd /dist
>        wrap/inst -ovr /n/lance plan9.9gz
>        (use wrap/inst for any other packages, e.g.,
>
>I get error connect time out error
>
>I believe I followed all the instructions from wiki
>that leads up to file server creation

Is your fileserver actually called lance?  Is its
name, etc
in /lib/ndb/local?  Is the fileserver up and running?
Can
you ping it?

        - Dan C.

Yes the entry for lance is in the /lib/ndb/local file
and the fileserver is up and running.

But I can't ping it. I thought ping didn't work
anyways because I'm running il protocol.

or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com

* Re: [9fans] plan9 file server
@ 2001-12-14  0:19 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-12-14  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <20011213225411.18719.qmail@web9604.mail.yahoo.com> you write:
>Yes the entry for lance is in the /lib/ndb/local file
>and the fileserver is up and running.

Okay.

>But I can't ping it. I thought ping didn't work
>anyways because I'm running il protocol.

Sounds like you might have made a typo setting the IP address or
other network setting on the file server.  IL runs on top of IP,
and the ICMP protocol that ping uses more or less sits next to IP,
so you ought to be able to ping the file server regardless.

Anyway, the next step would be to double check the network
settings, I think.

	- Dan C.