* [9fans] file server install
       [not found] <20011219141904.5F49E19A67@mail.cse.psu.edu>
@ 2001-12-19 23:52 ` William Gunnells
From: William Gunnells @ 2001-12-19 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I took your advice and tested the cables and NIC
cards. Used a linux debian disk to test network
connectivity and it works great. I'm able to ping the
CPU/AUTH server but not the file server. I'm sure
everything is setup properly. Below is the list of
commands I used to fire up the fileserver.
        service lance
        ip 10.0.1.41
        ipgw 10.0.1.1
        ipmask 255.255.255.0
        ipauth 10.0.1.40
        config w0
        filsys main w0
        ream main
        end
        users default

But I'm still not able to ping the file server. The
boot disk that I used was created via WIKI
instructions and it displays my NIC card and its MAC
address on bootup.

Please let me know if I'm missing anything.I will
provide my /lib/ndb/local file if needed

As requested I have added my file server boot-up

PBS...Plan9 from Bell Labs
apm ax=f000 cx=f000 dx=fdfc di=1200 ebx=803c esi=3e9
using fd0!dos!plan9.ini
ether#0: i82557: port 0x6100 irq 9: 00A0C9705C00
sd53c8xx: SYM53C895 rev. 0x02 intr=11 command=20000007
sd53c8xx: bios scntl3(bf) stest2(00)
found 9PCFS attr 0x0 start 0x12e len 381940
.233079.........+40512.........+172580=446171
entry: 0x80100020
CPU0: 100MHZ GENUINEINTEL P54C URT (cpuid: AX 0x0570
DX 0x016bf)
ether0:i82557: 0Mbps port 0x6100 irq 9:00a0c9705c00
scsi#0: SYM53C895 rev. 0x02 intr=11 command=0007
scsi#0:local script ram enabled
ncr53c8x: bios scntl3(00) stest2(00)
scsi#0: ncr53c8xx: port 0xe1906000 irq 11
isobufinit
	5268 buffers: 659 hashes
	mem left =2793471
	out of=33554432

what interested me most was the fact the ether0 is
0Mbps does this make since. Please keep me posted.

William-

or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com

* Re: [9fans] file server install
@ 2001-12-20  3:08 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-12-20  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Dec 19 19:53:16 EST 2001, geoff@collyer.net wrote:
> What I noticed first was this:
>
> 	scsi#0: ncr53c8xx: port 0xe1906000 irq 11
>
> I believe port numbers are limited to 16 bits even for PCI devices,
> and given that your ether is at 0x6100, that 0xe1906000 should
> probably be 0x6000.  Perhaps your BIOS's PCI P'n'P code is broken?
> I've seen breakage in assigning IRQs before.
>
> The 0Mbps thing is also worrying; have you tried plugging your
> machines into a switch (they're pretty cheap now)?

The 53C8xx driver uses memory-mapped accesses so the apparently
large port address is OK.

A clue to the answer is, as Geoff points out,given by the 0Mbps 'thing'.
Here's a post from last year:

 From cse.psu.edu!owner-9fans Thu Jun 15 17:29:58 EDT 2000
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 17:08:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Sam Hopkins <sah@borf.com>
Subject: [9fans] fs configuration with the ether i82557

Heya,

If you're planning on setting up a fileserver with the i82557 nic, you'll
need to edit the code in your /sys/src/fs/<kernel>/ether82557.c file.
Currently it only checks and sets for the 100 mbps setup, and otherwise
leaves it 0.  This unfortunately makes the fileserver's network capabilities
nonexistent.

Around line 1043 you'll see the conditional:
  if(bmcr & 0x2000)
    ether->mbps = 100;
Add:
  else
    ether->mbps = 10;

and you'll be set.

sam

* Re: [9fans] file server install
@ 2001-12-20  0:52 geoff
From: geoff @ 2001-12-20  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-12-19  8:52 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-12-19  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>instructions and it displays my NIC card and its MAC
>>address on bootup.

has the card got more than one connector (eg, RJ45 and BNC)?
if so, perhaps it's using the wrong one.

* Re: [9fans] file server install
@ 2001-12-18 23:06   ` Sam Ducksworth
From: Sam Ducksworth @ 2001-12-18 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

what nic card are you using? it would also be helpful
if you included the line that is displayed when your
nic card is detected during boot up.

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, William Gunnells wrote:

> I took your advice and tested the cables and NIC
> cards. Used a linux debian disk to test network
> connectivity and it works great. I'm able to ping the
> CPU/AUTH server but not the file server. I'm sure
> everything is setup properly. Below is the list of
> commands I used to fire up the fileserver.
>         service lance
>         ip 10.0.1.41
>         ipgw 10.0.1.1
>         ipmask 255.255.255.0
>         ipauth 10.0.1.40
>         config w0
>         filsys main w0
>         ream main
>         end
> 	users default
>
> But I'm still not able to ping the file server. The
> boot disk that I used was created via WIKI
> instructions and it displays my NIC card and its MAC
> address on bootup.
>
> Please let me know if I'm missing anything.I will
> provide my /lib/ndb/local file if needed
>
> William-

> or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com

--sam

* Re: [9fans] file server install
@ 2001-12-18 22:32 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-12-18 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

try typing "arp print" and "route print" at your
server while it is running (especially after the pings)
and see if any extra information is gained.

* [9fans] file server install
       [not found] <20011218154004.0E3A619A2C@mail.cse.psu.edu>
@ 2001-12-18 22:18 ` William Gunnells
From: William Gunnells @ 2001-12-18 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

       [not found] <20011214170104.C9FF719A0C@mail.cse.psu.edu>
@ 2001-12-18  1:36 ` William Gunnells
From: William Gunnells @ 2001-12-18  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Yes the entry for lance is in the /lib/ndb/local file
>and the fileserver is up and running.

Okay.

>But I can't ping it. I thought ping didn't work
>anyways because I'm running il protocol.

Sounds like you might have made a typo setting the IP
address or
other network setting on the file server.  IL runs on
top of IP,
and the ICMP protocol that ping uses more or less sits
next to IP,
so you ought to be able to ping the file server
regardless.

Anyway, the next step would be to double check the
network
settings, I think.

        - Dan C.

I took your advice and tested the cables and NIC
cards. Used a linux debian disk to test network
connectivity and it works great. I'm able to ping the
CPU/AUTH server but not the file server. I'm sure
everything is setup properly. Below is the list of
commands I use to fire up the fileserver.
	service lance
        ip 10.0.1.41
        ipgw 10.0.1.1
        ipmask 255.255.255.0
        ipauth 10.0.1.40
        config w0
        filsys main w0
        ream main
        end

users default

But I'm still not able to ping the server. The boot