* [9fans] Driver for PCnet devices
@ 2002-01-22 17:12 Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-01-22 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have mostly abandoned development of the driver for the simple
reason that the Siemens/Nixdorf/Hitachi host on which I was developing
the driver, and the only instance of an Am79c960 chip I have access
to, seems so twisted that I can't get Plan 9 to deal with it.

It all seems to hinge around the floppy drive controller, even PBS has
difficulty with it (or 9load, perhaps, hard to tell).

Something was done to the Plan 9 floppy drive code that causes it to
fail with this particular host (hm, I'm going to try the old 2ed
install disks, I need a new 2ed CPU server for a while at least), but
I don't like the idea of digging in that can of worms, last time I
deal with floppies, 8" ones were still viable :-)

++L

PS: the code seems to run both in 9load and in kernel mode, but
I'm not comfortable to release it to peer review as it is still
very raw.  Still, if it makes a difference to anyone, feel free to
ask for it.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-01-22 17:12 UTC | newest]