* Re: [9fans] Need help on 'page' command
@ 2002-01-24  2:20 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-01-24  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

See if "jpg /n/cdb/JPEGS300/AACROCK1.JPG" works.

If so, you need to edit the code in /sys/src/cmd/page/gfx.c
to reflect the magic jpeg prefix we're apparently not getting right.

Russ

* [9fans] Need help on 'page' command
@ 2002-01-24  6:11 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2002-01-24  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  I tried to display what I suppose is a jpg file as follows:
>
>  gs /n/cdb/JPEGS300/AACROCK1.JPG|page -V
>  reading through graphics...

The stdout of gs is not a picture file - it's diagnostic stuff.
(The author was a little new to Unix when he started.)
This will confuse page, which will then fall to vestigial
code and invoke the old fb stuff, which is deprecated.
Around here, where legacy binaries still exist,

As secondary proof,
%% </dev/null gs > x
%% sed 5q x
Aladdin Ghostscript 6.01 (2000-03-17)
Copyright (C) 2000 Aladdin Enterprises, Menlo Park, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.

%% page -V < x
reading through graphics...
fb/cvt2pic: can't decode stdin
IN: Can't read header
%%

So you see, gs is not the easiest way to display a JPG.
Either use jpg, page, or read up on gs to see how to make
it produce a file, and then run page on that file.  It's a
little intricate.

-rob

* [9fans] Need help on 'page' command
@ 2002-01-24  3:35 Thomas West
From: Thomas West @ 2002-01-24  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

  I tried to display what I suppose is a jpg file as follows:

 gs /n/cdb/JPEGS300/AACROCK1.JPG|page -V
 reading through graphics...
 fb/cvt2pic: file does not exist
 fb/3to1: file does not exist
 warning: couldnt read image: file does not exist >>tmp/pageprob.txt
 slave wait error: rc 413:|rc 415:cant exec

 And here is part of the output of 'string': Part not shown indicates
Photoshop 6.0

 strings /n/cdb/JPEGS300/AACROCK1.JPG
     267:  Photoshop
     491: Photo - JPEG
     550: AppleMark

 'page' examples from the manual seem to display properly

 solution/suggestions welcome

 -Tom