* Re: [9fans] Venti and the new plan 9 file system
@ 2002-01-30  5:29 dmr
From: dmr @ 2002-01-30  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Local correspondents report that the Quinlan/Dorward paper,

 http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/~seanq/pub.html#venti

won the Best Paper award at the just-concluded Usenix FAST
conference.  Good work, seanq and sean!

	Dennis

* Re: [9fans] Venti and the new plan 9 file system
@ 2002-01-30  5:31 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2002-01-30  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

actually, there's another half day of the conference, but
that's a minor point.

the paper was, indeed, well received.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1496 bytes --]

From: dmr@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Venti and the new plan 9 file system
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 00:29:33 -0500

@ 2002-01-04 17:22     ` Wladimir Mutel
From: Wladimir Mutel @ 2002-01-04 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sean Quinlan <seanq@research.bell-labs.com> wrote:
> If all goes well, it should in in the next release of plan 9.

	Next means 4th ? How soon ?

@ 2002-01-04 16:14   ` Sean Quinlan
From: Sean Quinlan @ 2002-01-04 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If all goes well, it should in in the next release of plan 9.
seanq

@ 2002-01-04 11:42 ` Wladimir Mutel
From: Wladimir Mutel @ 2002-01-04 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-01-04  0:27 Sean Quinlan
From: Sean Quinlan @ 2002-01-04  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For those of you interested in the direction we are heading
with respect to plan 9's file system, you might want to
checkout our paper on Venti that will appear in the
USENIX fast conference.

	http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/~seanq/pub.html#venti

Venti is a block level storage server that replaces the optical
juke box for a plan 9 file system.  Some of the benefits include:
	coalescing of duplicate blocks
	compression
	no block fragmentation
Also, we have switched from optical to magnetic disks as the storage
technology.  I know many of you already use magnetic disks to
"fake" a worm, but for those of us using a optical juke box,
the performance improvement is rather substantial!!

seanq