* Re: [9fans] SiS 900 ethernet driver
@ 2002-02-06 21:24 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-02-06 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it is the best place in the world to work -- very smart people, lots
of hardware and no deadlines...  but since i'm not an american citizen
and have no masters or anything beyond bachelor's degree, i don't
think they'll offer me a longer stay than my contract's 6 months...

:)

that means i'll still like you to teach me...

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2357 bytes --]

From: Laura Creighton <lac@cd.chalmers.se>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Cc: lac@cd.chalmers.se
Subject: Re: [9fans] SiS 900 ethernet driver
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 21:16:51 +0100

how do you like things at lanl?  I must go home now, but wanted to say hi.

Laura

* Re: [9fans] SiS 900 ethernet driver
@ 2002-02-06 21:27 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-02-06 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

oops, private mail.. sorry..

* Re: [9fans] SiS 900 ethernet driver
@ 2002-02-06 20:16 ` Laura Creighton
From: Laura Creighton @ 2002-02-06 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: lac

@ 2002-02-06 20:06 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-02-06 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi,

a preliminary SiS 900 ethernet card driver (kernel only) is located
at:

http://www.acl.lanl.gov/plan9/sis900/

there are several problems with it:
        - the SiS motherboard we have here is revision 630S (which is
apparently a rare one, judging from the BSD driver for the card)..
the MAC address is stored on the CMOS, but on other revisions
it's on the EEPROM.  the freebsd code for reading the eeprom is
included and modified so that it's presumably correct for plan9, but
it's untested
        - the driver is written from scratch, except for the EEPROM
and CMOS code and some status registers which are taken from 'if_sis*'
in the freebsd distribution..
        - (just discovered) it will not handle well packets of size
larger than 1512 +16 + 4..  i'm trying to find any hidden registers
that will indicate this

if you have the hardware, please give it a try :) if something doesn't
work you know who to blame...

andrey