* [9fans] max width of image, CHUNK limit
@ 2002-02-12  4:56 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-02-12  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We met the maximum value of CHUNK of /sys/src/libdrawloadimage.c
for certain image with 32 bit depth.  I think this limit comes from current 9p
protocol.
Does this limit goes larger in the next 9p2000 version?

I know we can avoid this limit in our application, however, if that limit goes
away, it'll be more beautiful...

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] max width of image, CHUNK limit
@ 2002-02-12  6:45 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-02-12  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thank you very much Russ.
Now, we are headding your second method.
In 9p2000, we may have a more elegant program here.

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2329 bytes --]

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] max width of image, CHUNK limit
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 01:02:31 -0500

Yes, in 9P2000 the maximum message size
may be as large as the two sides wish to negotiate.
We typically run with a 32kb message size
for cpu connections, specifically to help /dev/draw.
You could lift the current restriction by changing
cloadimage and the image compressor
to expect rectangles rather than y-coordinate pairs
when the image is very wide.  Another less involved
possibility is to write the image as a sequence of
images, one for each medium sized column.

With appropriate reworking, the limit should
really go away entirely.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] max width of image, CHUNK limit
@ 2002-02-12  6:02 Russ Cox