* [9fans] Experience with 1Gb machines
@ 2002-02-20 14:38 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-02-20 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Anyone out there running Plan9 on a >=1Gb RAM PC?

I'm experiencing some stability problems with my ASUS
A7V-266E with an XP1800+ (1.54GHz to you and me)
and 1Gb of DDR RAM.
Plan 9 gets all sorts of "corupt tail" type error messages
and doesn't last more than an hour, or a day if I
lower the clock speed to 1.15GHz. Run Inferno, launch
acme, and it resets!

If I leave either of the 512Mb memory sticks out it
is solid as a rock. Both in, wham! I tried setting maxmem
but to no effect.

I just wondered if 1Gb is too much memory...

I'm looking for ammunition to get the shop to change
the memory.

* Re: [9fans] Experience with 1Gb machines
@ 2002-02-22  1:04 ` Eric Dorman
From: Eric Dorman @ 2002-02-22  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> On Wed Feb 20 09:40:26 EST 2002, nigel@9fs.org wrote:
> > Anyone out there running Plan9 on a >=1Gb RAM PC?
>
> We have a number of machines with >= 1GB which run without problem.
> However, we don't have any DDR systems.
>
> --jim

My cpuserver is an Abit VP6 with 2xPIII-1.0GHz and
1.0Gb SDRAM, seems to work fine.  A blurb recently
from the list indicated 1.75Gb was max?  Has this been
fixed, perhaps under the as-yet-unreleased-due-to-9P2000
work?

Eric Dorman

* Re: [9fans] Experience with 1Gb machines
@ 2002-02-20 18:08 jmk
From: jmk @ 2002-02-20 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans