* [9fans] CD-RW or IDE controller issues?
@ 2002-02-22 22:31 anothy
From: anothy @ 2002-02-22 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i've got what i believe to be an MMC CD-RW
drive attached to the IDE chain in my
terminal. the bios sees it fine, but it
doesn't show up in plan 9. i've never had
anything on this IDE chain before, and i'm
assured the drive is MMC. any suggestions
for testing either the IDE controller (i
don't have extra devices to plug in; i'm
looking for something akin to scuzz i can
apply to controllers) or the drive would
be much appreciated.
ア

* RE: [9fans] CD-RW or IDE controller issues?
@ 2002-02-24 11:18 iwanek
From: iwanek @ 2002-02-24 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ Cox wrote:
> > Larger value (500*1000) sometimes works, but not
> > always. I am stuck.
>
> How about 800*1000?

Sorry, it was a typo. I meant 5000*1000.

> It's only microseconds.

That's what I thought, too.

Funny thing is that the drives do get detected onece in
a while. I suspect there is something else affecting the
behaviour.

- kazumi

* RE: [9fans] CD-RW or IDE controller issues?
@ 2002-02-23 17:02 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-02-23 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Larger value (500*1000) sometimes works, but not
> always. I am stuck.

How about 800*1000?  It's only microseconds.

* RE: [9fans] CD-RW or IDE controller issues?
@ 2002-02-23 11:49 iwanek
From: iwanek @ 2002-02-23 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

anothy@cosym.net wrote:
> i've got what i believe to be an MMC CD-RW
> drive attached to the IDE chain in my
> terminal. the bios sees it fine, but it
> doesn't show up in plan 9.

I am having a similar problem. On my P4 system, #S/sdD0
is connected to a DVD-ROM and #S/sdD1 to a CD-RW. Both
drives are not detected.

I've been fiddling with /sys/src/9/pc/sdata.c and I think I found
the place: it's ataidentify() where it calls

  as = ataready(cmdport, ctlport, 0, Bsy, Drq|Err, 400*1000);

and this times out (returns -1).

I've tried increasing the magic number (400*1000) to various
values. Larger value (500*1000) sometimes works, but not
always. I am stuck.

P.S.
How can I make use of atadebug()? I put a print() in ataready()
and immediately regret it.

- kazumi