* [9fans] schedinit()
@ 2002-03-07 16:52 Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-03-07 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just a quick one, while I track down a problem by other means:

is it reasonable for

	/sys/src/9/port/proc.c:/^schedinit(

to be called twice on kernel startup?  On a single CPU host?

Something happened between October 14, 2000 and March 27, 2001 that
causes the pc kernel not to start up properly.  I've isolated it to
port/proc.c and port/portclock.c (to the best of my ability) and I
think it's speed related.

But having schedinit() called both in main() and in squidboy() -
anyone care to explain squidboy() to me? - doesn't fit with my
somewhat vague understanding of the kernel.

++L

* Re: [9fans] schedinit()
@ 2002-03-08 16:23 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2002-03-08 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> There's a scheduler running on each processor.  Each one has
> to get inited.  They all get jobs from the same stack of
> run queues.  What's the problem?

Sounds like the obvious way to do it -- no problem.

* Re: [9fans] schedinit()
@ 2002-03-08  9:38 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-03-08  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 08:19:40PM -0500, presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> There's a scheduler running on each processor.  Each one has
> to get inited.  They all get jobs from the same stack of
> run queues.  What's the problem?

I misunderstood my debugging output for schedinit() and thought it
was being called twice whereas both paths through it were exercised
before the machine stalled (remember north_'s fix?)

The problem is that the machine hangs after the second invocation
of sched() (port/proc.c).  I have no idea how far it goes into the
second invocation, I think I could work my way throught the first
to get a better grip on what's going on.

I'll also follow up jmk's recommended reading, but probably not
right now :-)

++L

* Re: [9fans] schedinit()
@ 2002-03-08  1:19 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-03-08  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There's a scheduler running on each processor.  Each one has
to get inited.  They all get jobs from the same stack of
run queues.  What's the problem?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1538 bytes --]

From: jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] schedinit()
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 20:12:32 -0500

On Thu Mar  7 13:03:27 EST 2002, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> But having schedinit() called both in main() and in squidboy() -
> anyone care to explain squidboy() to me? - doesn't fit with my
> somewhat vague understanding of the kernel.

Rucker, Rudy: The Hacker and the Ants

* Re: [9fans] schedinit()
@ 2002-03-08  1:12 jmk
From: jmk @ 2002-03-08  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)