* [9fans] MIPS compiler sizes (was GUI toolkit for Plan 9)
@ 2002-03-11  1:22 Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2002-03-11  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Following up my note of February 26th, in throwing out old files, I
happened upon 1988 slides from one of John Mashey's talks.  They are
dated 30 August 1988 and one lists the number of lines of code in
various components of the MIPS compilers, loader, assembler and
libraries for all supported languages.  I'm going to list them sorted
by size, unlike the original slide:

	embedded Ada		11000
	ld			15300
	profiling & tools	16600
	code generator		19400
	Pascal			21700
	assembler		22600
	C			25000
	global & inter-unit opt. 31000
	debugger		33000
	libs & misc.		39300
	COBOL			41300
	Fortran 77		52700
	Ada runtimes		57000
	PL1†			99800
	Ada			392000
	Total			840700 (the slide is wrong; actually 877700)

† code mostly shared with COBOL.

Yes, that figure for Ada is *not* a typo.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-03-11  1:22 UTC | newest]