* Re: [9fans] 3D rendering
@ 2002-03-17 19:12 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-03-17 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if you want an example of something that already does double buffering
in plan9, you should look at the XaoS port:

http://www.acl.lanl.gov/plan9/xaos/

performance is reasonable on terminals and is mostly bound by the
video card...

i see a slow decrease if the command is ran using 'cpu' to switch to
another server, when actually you transfer data from a remote machine.

so, you can do both -- run locally and remotely.

with a 600x600 pixel window I get the following on XaoS:

local (not standalone though): 		65fps
remote (100baseT): 				11fps

themachines in question are k7/800 and piii/800 respectively.

cheers, andrey

* Re: [9fans] 3D rendering
@ 2002-03-17 20:33 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2002-03-17 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm curious as to how 3D rendering would work in Plan9.  What would determine
> if the rendering would be done locally on the terminal, or (perhaps) if the
> rendering is done on a CPU server that has 3D Hardware available and then is
> streamed back to the terminal over a network, or if the app is run on a cpu
> server and sends render instructions over the network to the terminal to have
> the rendering done on hardware locally.

Any of the above would be possible.  For best performance, you would certainly
want the application near the display, largely because the interface to modern
3-D hardware involves shared memory and fast buses.  Sending all those textures
over a wire could be painful.  It should be possible, though, to build an
architecture that permits remote, 9P-mediated access to 3-D hardware without
completely forsaking good local performance.  I do not speak from experience,
however.

-rob

* [9fans] 3D rendering
       [not found] <20020317170103.26CAA199B9@mail.cse.psu.edu>