* Re: [9fans] Keyboards (was kbd.c)
@ 2002-04-02 10:32 Ian Broster
From: Ian Broster @ 2002-04-02 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I have looked at the various
> keyboards that have been mentioned on this list, but I still
> havn't found my ideal. ( Most have this annoying caps lock key... ;-) )

I have no caps lock, fn keys, numeric keypad, arrows, home/end/page
keys etc....

pictures (sorry for the poor resolution):
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ianb/pics/onehand2.jpg
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ianb/pics/onehand1.jpg

decription:
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ianb/dest/keyboard.html

ian

* Re: [9fans] Keyboards (was kbd.c)
@ 2002-04-02 10:50 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-04-02 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 11:32:54AM +0100, Ian Broster wrote:

> I have no caps lock, fn keys, numeric keypad, arrows, home/end/page
> keys etc....
>
> pictures (sorry for the poor resolution):
> http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ianb/pics/onehand2.jpg
> http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ianb/pics/onehand1.jpg
>
> decription:
> http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ianb/dest/keyboard.html

Something's wrong, probably permissions, on pisa.cs.york.ac.uk.  None
of the above can be viewed from my browser:

"You don't have permission to access ... on this server."

* Re: [9fans] Keyboards (was kbd.c)
@ 2002-04-08 14:08 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-04-08 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have no caps lock, fn keys, numeric keypad, arrows, home/end/page
> keys etc....

Neither do I.  Are you a keyboard?

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Keyboards (was kbd.c)
@ 2002-04-08 12:54 ` Ian Broster
From: Ian Broster @ 2002-04-08 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-04-01  3:12 plan9
From: plan9 @ 2002-04-01  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We used to modify the KBD code a long time ago. The first idea consisted in loading a new table from rc. The main issue was the command that had to be typped in order to switch... Ie : a french keyboard could become VERY useless at this time.

Then we decided that ^t^tn  would be more accurate to what we needed.

n    KBD            Table
===========================
0    US (Dflt)      Builtin
1    FR             File
2    DE             File
3    RU             File
...  ...            ...

* Re: [9fans] Keyboards (was kbd.c)
@ 2002-04-01  2:17     ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2002-04-01  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 08:18:33PM -0500, Dan Cross wrote:

> > > No, I mean destroyer size.  It was in comparison to
> > > the ``battleship size'' Windows keyboards.  Perhaps I'm
> > > misremembering the boat sizes in the game, but I thought
> > > the destroyer was the shortest at 2 pegs long.
> >
> > Oh - I see. Sorry, that was too subtle for me. I tend to
> > think of both classes of warship as too big to comfortably
> > sit on the lap :-)
>
> If the HHKB is a destroyer, what qualifies as a dingy?

Push-buttons for toggling in the boot strap.

* Re: [9fans] Keyboards (was kbd.c)
@ 2002-04-01  1:18   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-04-01  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > > I assume you mean 'only *non* destroyer size' below.
> >
> > No, I mean destroyer size.  It was in comparison to
> > the ``battleship size'' Windows keyboards.  Perhaps I'm
> > misremembering the boat sizes in the game, but I thought
> > the destroyer was the shortest at 2 pegs long.
>
> Oh - I see. Sorry, that was too subtle for me. I tend to
> think of both classes of warship as too big to comfortably
> sit on the lap :-)

If the HHKB is a destroyer, what qualifies as a dingy?

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Keyboards (was kbd.c)
@ 2002-03-31  1:50 ` Digby Tarvin
From: Digby Tarvin @ 2002-03-31  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > I assume you mean 'only *non* destroyer size' below.
>
> No, I mean destroyer size.  It was in comparison to
> the ``battleship size'' Windows keyboards.  Perhaps I'm
> misremembering the boat sizes in the game, but I thought
> the destroyer was the shortest at 2 pegs long.

Oh - I see. Sorry, that was too subtle for me. I tend to
think of both classes of warship as too big to comfortably
sit on the lap :-)

Regards,
DigbyT
--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              digbyt@acm.org
http://www.cthulhu.dircon.co.uk

* Re: [9fans] Keyboards (was kbd.c)
@ 2002-03-31  0:52 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-03-31  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I assume you mean 'only *non* destroyer size' below.

No, I mean destroyer size.  It was in comparison to
the ``battleship size'' Windows keyboards.  Perhaps I'm
misremembering the boat sizes in the game, but I thought
the destroyer was the shortest at 2 pegs long.

Russ

* [9fans] Keyboards (was kbd.c)
@ 2002-03-31  0:47 ` Digby Tarvin
From: Digby Tarvin @ 2002-03-31  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I assume you mean 'only *non* destroyer size' below.

Maybe I am misinterpreting the use of the word 'crock', but
I took it as a somewhat derogatory term. Or was Rob referring
perhaps to the proverbial 'crock of gold'.... ;-)

I know the HH bucks the prevailing trend by replacing bloat with a
'less is more' philosophy, but this is not entirely dissimilar
to the approach taken in a certain operating sytem of which
(I think) we all approve.

I don't want to sound like I am evangelising about the HH,
I do have other keyboards which I find a better compromise.
For instance, I am not keen on the placement of the '\|' and
DEL key either. But there is a lack of consistency on other keyboards,
and if it had separate BS+DEL keys it would definately be above
average IMHO , and I do tend to use one when I am
travelling and don't wan't to be  stuck with someone else's
battleship or a spongy notebook job, as it does seem about as small
as you can get without sacrificing key size...

Perhaps I should have asked what it is exactly about the HH keyboard
that makes it deserving of such scorn. Surely the makers of Plan 9
would not condemn something for being small or different :-)