* Re: [9fans] 802.11 Access Points
@ 2002-04-11 13:44 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-04-11 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 09:04:13AM -0500, plan9@itic.ca wrote:

> 2 years ago, I have been working on the Bluetooth 1.0b specifications and the only issue was the ability to get the right hardware components. I took a look at the recent linux open source implementations of the L2CAP and others BT stacks : that would be something to explore too...

I understand that 802.11 is easily eavesdropped on, but I don't find
that as much of a showstopper as trying to track the alphabet soup of
proprietary and otherwise alternatives.  I'm just thinking along the
lines of an RF equivalent of Cisoc's PIX, if such a thing makes any
sense.

Once the hardware has been tamed the Plan 9 way, its usefulness is
increased manifold.  And it's cheap, even by South African standards.

++L

* Re: [9fans] 802.11 Access Points
@ 2002-04-11 14:04 plan9
From: plan9 @ 2002-04-11 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Wait,

"Lucio De Re" <lucio@proxima.alt.za> a crit dans le message news:<20020411114749.F12505@cackle.proxima.alt.za>...

@ 2002-04-12  8:44 ` Matthew C Weigel
From: Matthew C Weigel @ 2002-04-12  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

<9fans@cse.psu.edu> wrote:

>As a very good software example, www.lineo.com developped SecureEdge =
>FireWall : Motorola 5307, microLinux, 2 eth, 8MB, 4MB flash, extremely =
>small port of Linux firewalling apps.

If you want 'easy' more than 'interesting,' Soekris makes a cute little
x86 embedded system.  486, up to 64M RAM, 3 network interfaces, one
mini-PCI and one regular PCI slot, CF slot that can boot, and a serial
port console.

One reseller of the thing even sells it with an Orinico mini-PCI card
and an external antenna.

http://www.soekris.com
http://www.embsd.org (they sell the Orinoco card; I'm not sure how easy
it is to get the mini-PCI version of the card otherwise).

It wouldn't provide much challenge in terms of porting Plan 9 to it
(except getting Plan 9 to use a serial console?), but it could provide
all the things being discussed.
--
 Matthew Weigel
 Research Systems Programmer

* Re: [9fans] 802.11 Access Points
@ 2002-04-11 18:33 bwc
From: bwc @ 2002-04-11 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> PIX functionnalities is another story : it as a proprietary and well tested IP stack.
> The PIX ios is a little bit <> from Cisco routers,
> anyway the problem is that Plan9 filtering has to be developped.

Just a word to keep things straight, the PIX didn't use anything from IOS;
it was a product before Cisco bought Network Translation.  It really doesn't
have much of an IP stack.  It really is a layer 2 thingy that `knows' about
the other layers.

The cli only looked like IOS, because that's what Cisco said they wanted.
I should have balked at that--it was a lot easier to use before.

* Re: [9fans] 802.11 Access Points
@ 2002-04-11 17:03 plan9
From: plan9 @ 2002-04-11 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You'r right,

The hardware platform is essential.
FYI, the minibrick that Bell Labs developped WAS about USD 50.

As a very good software example, www.lineo.com developped SecureEdge FireWall : Motorola 5307, microLinux, 2 eth, 8MB, 4MB flash, extremely small port of Linux firewalling apps. I don't say that it should be copyed, but it sounds good having a look at it. I have the CD sources if anyone cares.

"Lucio De Re" <lucio@proxima.alt.za> a crit dans le message news:<20020411154410.B14879@cackle.proxima.alt.za>...

@ 2002-04-11  9:47   ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-04-11  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-04-10 19:26 ` skipt
From: skipt @ 2002-04-10 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 07:54 PM 4/10/2002 +0200, Lucio De Re wrote:
>and it does look like an interesting challenge for a Plan 9 (or
>Inferno) appliance.  Any takers?  I'm financially crippled, so I'll

* [9fans] 802.11 Access Points
@ 2002-04-10 17:54 Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-04-10 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

A friend suggested looking at

	http://opensource.instant802.com/

and it does look like an interesting challenge for a Plan 9 (or
Inferno) appliance.  Any takers?  I'm financially crippled, so I'll
pass.

++L