* Re: [9fans] upas/fs support for mh folders?
@ 2002-05-14 16:15 rog
From: rog @ 2002-05-14 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> upas/fs keeps your mailbox in memory.

this is really annoying if you haven't got hods of memory and people
are in the habit of sending you attachments.

i don't know if it's just me, but i like having my old email easily
accessible; the current scheme forces me to occasionally truncate my
inbox of the first 1500 messages or so to avoid horrible swapping
behaviour.

it's interesting to see how slowly the plumbing transmits the deleted
message information (about 3 or 4 messages a second) when i've used

echo '1,1500s mbox.old
1,1500d' | mail -r

to do the transfer.

while we're on the subject, here are a few things i've wished
to see in (acme) mail:

o marking messages with meta-information (e.g. unread, needs reply, replied)
o a scheme that avoided the entire mbox being rewritten every day
	(not such a problem when the system moves to venti)
o one-click transferral to another named mailbox
o deletion of many messages without having to open each one individually
	(or firing up upas/nedmail)
o deletion of attached message parts without deleting the message itself
	(useful when a friend sends a chatty message with huge attached photos)

however i don't know how many of these are realisable (or even desirable in general!)

  cheers,
    rog.

* Re: [9fans] upas/fs support for mh folders?
@ 2002-05-14 16:14 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-05-14 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> o deletion of many messages without having to open each one individually
> 	(or firing up upas/nedmail)

That's already there.  Select the messages to delete in the menu, and Delmesg
them in the menu window.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] upas/fs support for mh folders?
@ 2002-05-14 16:01 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-05-14 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> upas/fs keeps your mailbox in memory.  if you can't spare
> the disk space to reconstruct a normal unix mailbox file, it's
> doubtful you can spare the memory to read the messages anyway.

Hmm... I recall being afraid of that. I hoped that somehow upas/fs
would only keep the header/structure info, without all the bodies --
but then again, it has to extract the mime (sub)structuring.
Thanks for pointing it out.
(for a whole cd the mailbox files will be in the order of 400-600 Mb,
 but off course I could always scan it bit by bit -- the extreme being
 one mh file (one message) at a time... :-)

Sorry for using up the bandwidth,
Axel -- who is now sorry for not buying lots of memory when it was cheap.

* Re: [9fans] upas/fs support for mh folders?
@ 2002-05-14 15:50 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-14 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

upas/fs keeps your mailbox in memory.  if you can't spare
the disk space to reconstruct a normal unix mailbox file, it's
doubtful you can spare the memory to read the messages anyway.

russ

* [9fans] upas/fs support for mh folders?
@ 2002-05-14 10:42 Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-05-14 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm using mh on unix, and have some mail archives in mh format on cd
(and doing something like 'cat *' to remake a mail spool file from a
 cd-size archive wastes space and memory I don't have, or is there
 another trick?), so:
has anybody done any work on integrating mh folder support in upas/fs?
or any tips to start such a thing (not that I have time right now, but you
never know -- a while ago I already had a brief look at upas/fs source...)

Axel.