* (no subject)
@ 2002-05-19  9:55 kjn9
From: kjn9 @ 2002-05-19  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

kjn9@citizenearth.com>
Subject: [9fans] Newbie questions on command history and typo correction
Sender: 9fans-admin@cse.psu.edu
Date: 19 May 2002 09:54:36 -0000

OK, I know that rio is (deliberately) not cursor-friendly, and I will defer judgment on this until I have given rio a fair trial.  But here are two questions for the time being:

1. Many UNIX shells allow the user to access the command history, using the up/down cursor keys.  Is there any way to get the command history in a Plan 9 rc shell, other than the obvious method of scrolling up to the previous command input line, selecting the input by clicking and dragging mouse button 1, then choosing "send" with mouse button 2 (using 'Esc' if the command needs to be edited before execution)?  This method is particularly inconvenient if the earlier commands have produced a lot of output.

2. When typing, I notice that I have made an error.  In UNIX I can use the left/right cursor keys to return to the typo, without losing the subsequent text.  In Plan 9, I need to use the mouse to move the text insertion point.  Is there any other way to do this?

My vice is that I like to avoid switching between the keyboard and mouse.  When entering text, I find it convenient to have keyboard shortcuts for common operations.

* Re: [9fans] Newbie questions on command history and typo correction
@ 2002-05-19 15:42 ` Dean Prichard
From: Dean Prichard @ 2002-05-19 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 19 May 2002, kjn9@citizenearth.com wrote:
>Is there any way to get the command history in a Plan 9 rc shell

Russ has a couple of nice scripts on his web page for this. take
a look at:

http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~rsc/"
http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~rsc/""

-dp

* Re: [9fans] Another Newbie question !
@ 2002-05-20  7:09     ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2002-05-20  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 02:56:19AM -0500, Ganesh Kumar wrote:
>  I am a newbie to Plan9.When I created the boot disk and started
> downloading,the download stops at 99% ( I use windows) and says insert a
> disk of higher capacity.

Are you using rawrite or something similar to copy the disk image?
You can't just copy the file to a FAT-formatted disk.

> I used a Phillips 1.44 MB disk.But it say only 1.30MB found.

> Is it possible to use a splitter and split the file? If I do that,how do I
> boot from that ?

You don't want to do that ;-)

* [9fans] Another Newbie question !
@ 2002-05-20  7:56   ` Ganesh Kumar
From: Ganesh Kumar @ 2002-05-20  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,
 I am a newbie to Plan9.When I created the boot disk and started
downloading,the download stops at 99% ( I use windows) and says insert a
disk of higher capacity.

I used a Phillips 1.44 MB disk.But it say only 1.30MB found.

Is it possible to use a splitter and split the file? If I do that,how do I
boot from that ?

regards
Ganesh Kumar

* Re: [9fans] Another Newbie question !
@ 2002-05-20  8:25       ` Ganesh Kumar
From: Ganesh Kumar @ 2002-05-20  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Are you using rawrite or something similar to copy the disk image?
> You can't just copy the file to a FAT-formatted disk.

 Oh I see. I just downloaded directly to FAT formatted disk.(IBM
Pre-formatted).Let me try with rawrite.thanks :)

Ganesh Kumar