* [9fans] PPC_OS X & Plan9
@ 2002-05-23  0:12 A. Baker
From: A. Baker @ 2002-05-23  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

As am I.
Please post your results
The RISC arch has been overshadowed lately, Apple, I
believe, is fixing that now.
--------------------8<--------------------
From: Geoff Collyer <geoff@collyer.net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 13:56:07 -0700
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] OS X

I now work in the Mac OS X group at Apple.  OS X is a
stripped-down
FreeBSD kernel (to remove redundancy with Mach) on a
Mach
``micro''-kernel; as far as I can tell, the name
``Darwin''
refers to the combination.  User mode stuff is
increasingly
taken from FreeBSD, but there's also stuff from Apple
and NeXT
(e.g., Netinfo).

I just got my bookshelf of Power PC and Altivec
documents
back from reprographics, so once I find my way around
the
open-source repositories, it will be interesting to
see what
it would take to run Plan 9 on this hardware.
LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-05-23  0:12 UTC | newest]