* [9fans] access to console of consolefs server?
@ 2002-06-01 22:18 Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-06-01 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Suppose I have two machines in a computer room, a file server
and an auth server. I need (would like) remote console access to both.
So, I would run consolefs on the auth server. I understand how to
make the fs console available via the consolefs on the auth server.
Can I also  make the auth console available?
(my first thought was to make a loop from one serial port to another
 on the auth server, specify one as console in plan9.ini, and the other
 one in /lib/ndb/consoledb -- but then I won't have a console during
 boot... unless I just use a plain old terminal during booting -
 is that the trick?)

Thanks,
Axel.

* Re: [9fans] remote access to console of auth/console server?
@ 2002-06-06 10:57 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-06-06 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

To answer some of my own questions:
 - the console= line in plan9.ini just _adds_ console access via COM[12],
   instead of _replacing_ the normal access via keyboard/monitor
   (so no need for old terminal to watch/influence the boot process)
 - the loop from one serial port (specified in console= line in plan9.ini)
   to another (specified in /lib/ndb/consoledb) works, but 'costs'
   two serial ports.

New questions:
 - would it be possible to replace the fysical loop by some
   'loopback' code (that makes the console availabe via a 'virtual'
   serial port)?
 - would that make sense?   rephrased:
 - do I really need/want remote console access to the auth server, or can
   'every' administration task be done via normal remote login?
   How is this done at bell labs (where, as I understand, the auth server
   doubles as console server)?
   One advantage of access via consolefs rather than via normal remote
   login seems to be that clog can be used to log 'everything'.

@ 2002-06-27 17:53   ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-06-27 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

To follow up on my own message (and close the thread :-)
>    One advantage of access via consolefs rather than via normal remote
>    login seems to be that clog can be used to log 'everything'.

And also, being able to use  C consistently is nice as well.
Have now consolefs access to fs and auth server, and like it!

Axel.