* Re: [9fans] Sam & Acme & 8c questions
@ 2002-06-17 14:11 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-06-17 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Question 2:  If I start a new copy of acme it isn't defaulting
>> an rc shell window like it is when the system boots.  This is
>> fine, but how do I start one?

you mean a dedicated acme window where you can issue commands?  try
your middle mouse button on
	/acme/bin/386/win

andrey

* Re: [9fans] Sam & Acme & 8c questions
@ 2002-06-17 14:35 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-06-17 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> >> Question 2:  If I start a new copy of acme it isn't defaulting
> >> an rc shell window like it is when the system boots.  This is
> >> fine, but how do I start one?
>
> you mean a dedicated acme window where you can issue commands?  try
> your middle mouse button on
> 	/acme/bin/386/win

Or on just
	win

Axel.

* Re: [9fans] Sam & Acme & 8c questions
@ 2002-06-17 13:58 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-06-17 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Comment:  If you start sam with a single file argument it
> would be VERY convinient to have sam automatically
> open and display that file taking up its entire data area.

It would be reasonable to do that. You could change the code.
As forsyth observed, though, most people don't start sam to
edit a single file.  It's intended to be started and left around
as an editor at beck-and-call all the time.  The B shell
command is helpful here (B stands for 'boon').

Now read on.

> This would make quick edits a lot easier.  You could just
> type sam file.c and just start editing it.  Calling sam, selecting
> the single file, specifing the window size each time is a real
> pain.

It sounds like you don't know that you can specify the size
of the window with a click.  When you have the box/arrow
cursor, just click the mouse to maximize the cursor in the
area under the mouse.  'Maximize' means take up as much
area as possible without covering the command window.

> Question 2:  If I start a new copy of acme it isn't defaulting
> an rc shell window like it is when the system boots.  This is
> fine, but how do I start one?

% window acme

-rob

* Re: [9fans] Sam & Acme & 8c questions
@ 2002-06-17  9:36 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-06-17  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>Okay, I'm getting into this.  I used sam for a while and
>>got used to it but going in and out was a pain - enter acme.

when i used sam years ago, i tended to have a single big
copy on screen (much as with acme) and use the B command
to throw files into that from whichever rc window i was using,
rather than starting sam up fresh each time.

* [9fans] Sam & Acme & 8c questions
@ 2002-06-17  9:14 Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2002-06-17  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Okay, I'm getting into this.  I used sam for a while and
got used to it but going in and out was a pain - enter acme.
Anyway, I have some questions and comments.

Comment:  If you start sam with a single file argument it
would be VERY convinient to have sam automatically
open and display that file taking up its entire data area.
This would make quick edits a lot easier.  You could just
type sam file.c and just start editing it.  Calling sam, selecting
the single file, specifing the window size each time is a real
pain.  Perhaps if more than one file is specified it should
just auto-display the first and allow manual selection of the
other files.  Perhaps this should be done with a command
line optional argument (although I don't think so).

Question 1.  In sam (or acme) how can I select more lines
than can fit on the screen?  For example let's say I'm editing
a file with 1000 lines and 40 are being displayed (because
that is all that will fit).  Let's say I want to snarf an 80 line
function.  How can I do that?

Question 2:  If I start a new copy of acme it isn't defaulting
an rc shell window like it is when the system boots.  This is
fine, but how do I start one?

Question 3:  Most C compilers (or actually their pre-processors)
have some standard defines so that your program can tell what
it's being compiled for at compile time (like _unix_ or __WIN32).
Does the Plan 9 compiler have some standard defines?

Thanks a lot.

Blake McBride
blake@intega-online.com