* [9fans] Passwords on KFS file system
@ 2002-06-18  9:30 Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2002-06-18  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Greetings,

My Plan 9 system is stand-alone (no networking) and uses the
kfs file system.  Looking at the docs I think I see how to add
a new user to my system (disk/kfscmd newuser).  Is that correct?
But, no where can I find how to give glenda or a new user a
password.  Thre appears to be ways of using passwords with
a network but not on a stand-alone machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Blake McBride
blake@integra-online.com

* Re: [9fans] Passwords on KFS file system
@ 2002-06-18 10:06 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-06-18 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 09:30:34AM +0000, Blake McBride wrote:

> My Plan 9 system is stand-alone (no networking) and uses the
> kfs file system.  Looking at the docs I think I see how to add
> a new user to my system (disk/kfscmd newuser).  Is that correct?

Yes.  That presumably updates the /adm/users file and creates a home
directory.

> But, no where can I find how to give glenda or a new user a
> password.  Thre appears to be ways of using passwords with
> a network but not on a stand-alone machine.

That makes sense, as you'd need auth services to track passwords, most
importantly, you need NVRAM to store the crypt key that protects the
password files (/adm/*key, or somesuch).

I imagine you could bend the terminal kernel to run authentication,
but you'll gain little for your efforts, there is no safeguard on a
terminal server against malicious behaviour by different users.

> Any help would be appreciated.

Encouragement?  You're way ahead of where I was after as little
exposure as you have :-)

++L