* RE: [9fans] supported ipaq's?
@ 2002-06-25 15:51 Stephen Parker
From: Stephen Parker @ 2002-06-25 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '9fans@cse.psu.edu'

> One change I discovered is that the Linux boot loader for the bitsy
> now recognizes more than one boot format.  If you create the
> partitions and load a kernel and paqdisk, you should give the
> command `boot flash' to boot Plan 9.

i've tried this.  i seem to recall that i got an "unreckognised
magic number in kernel" type of message.  certainly looking
through the boot loader code it looks as if its looking for
stuff in the kernel image that's not there in the 9 kernel.
i guess i'll probably end up going back to an earlier bootloader
but i'm trying to avoid messing with the boot sector too
much (i wouldn't be surprised if we've got the jtag gear here
but i don't really want to have to try it).

> When the kernel starts up, the first thing it should print is a
> fingerprint of the paqdisk.  If that succeeds, the paqdisk format
> is correct.  If /bin/rc still can't be found, check that
> you've installed
> arm binaries before making a paqdisk.  `mk paqdisk' will take
> many files
> from /arm but will not install them there if they don't exist.
> However, mkfs will complain about missing files.

the thing that bothers me most is that the paqdisk doesn't seem
to be acceptable to my local (386 binary) paqfs.  when i run
paqfs i get the fingerprint printed out ok but as soon as
i try to access anything other than the root of /n/paq the
process breaks.  i've some changes to paqfs
from nemo@plan9.escet.urjc.es that i'll try tonight.  the
arm binaries are in place and mkfs seems happy (it does
grumble about a few things but nothing that looks like it
should prevent booting).

i'll do some further investigations and see what turns up.

thanks,
stephen
--
Stephen Parker.  Pi Technology.  +44 (0)1223 203438.

* [9fans] [OT] bitsy cost
@ 2002-06-25 17:49 ` Vladimir G. Ivanovic
From: Vladimir G. Ivanovic @ 2002-06-25 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Roughly, quantity 1, how much does a bitsy cost?

--- Vladimir

--------
Vladimir G. Ivanovic                        http://leonora.org/~vladimir
2770 Cowper St.                                         vladimir@acm.org
Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                 +1 650 678 8014

* Re: [9fans] [OT] bitsy cost
@ 2002-06-25 17:56 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-06-25 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think it's like `{echo '80 * 1000 / 166' | hoc} €
which is aprox the same in us$