* Re: [9fans] PGP
@ 2002-04-29  8:43 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-04-29  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>that is, is anyone's wife or girlfriend or secretary using it?

yes, my wife uses it on our home plan 9 network,
using acme to read mail for instance,
and a (newer) version of charon for web browsing.

* Re: [9fans] PGP
@ 2002-07-09  9:57 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-07-09  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

(old thread :-)
last friday we had a two year old user playing with our 'public' system
in the coffee corner, currently (intended to be) used as music player(*).
Our little tester (colleagues son) succeeded to delete the clock
window and resize the stats bar, and type somewhere in the middle
of rio windows, but did not break anything important.
The sound control slider on sape's classicjuke kept him busy for quite
a while. (openening another classicjuke on another machine in a different
room, controlling the same sound made things even more interesting :-)
Essentially, the system survived him (but crashed a bit later (after our
little tester had already left) when I (I think) made it run out of memory).

(*) in the past it kept an eye (webcam) on our coffee pot,
and has been used  for a while as mark-list for coffee and beer,
using the acme edit scripts that I posted a while ago;
the (diskless) system doubles as cpu (but not auth) server

> >>that is, is anyone's wife or girlfriend or secretary using it?

I'm trying to convince my wife that it can be nice to read mail via acme;
the need to dial in makes things slightly more complicated. We'll see.

Just some noise,
Axel.

* Re: [9fans] PGP
@ 2002-04-29  3:46 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-04-29  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There's no direct support in the mail clients
for exchanging mail with PGP/GPG users.

Someone ported PGP at one point, but there
are no hooks for using it.  Our mail isn't
interesting enough that anyone would care
to read it.

Russ

* [9fans] PGP
@ 2002-04-28 22:28 ru
From: ru @ 2002-04-28 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

are there as yet any non-technical users of Plan 9?

that is, is anyone's wife or girlfriend or secretary using it?

also, is there software support in the mail client for
exchanging mail with those using PGP/GPG?

* Re: [9fans] PGP
@ 2001-04-23 17:10 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-04-23 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>Unfortunately, the latest version of PGP (6.5.8) uses C++.  Grrr....

that provides a good level of encryption immediately.

* Re: [9fans] PGP
@ 2001-04-23 16:13     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-04-23 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <20010423060128.16241.qmail@g.bio.cse.psu.edu> you write:
>Ages ago I posted patches to get it to compile under APE.
>Someone else can repeat the exercise this time. :)

PGP 2 is all well and good, but isn't compatable with the keys
generated by PGP >=5, which is what all the kids are using these
days.

Unfortunately, the latest version of PGP (6.5.8) uses C++.  Grrr....
I tried to port GPG (the GNU version, which at least is written in
straight up C), but gave up in disgust after a few hours of fixing
stupid type incompatabilities in various source files.

It'd be nice to see an OpenPGP implementation under Plan 9, maybe
built from the ground up.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] PGP
@ 2001-04-23  6:06 rsc
From: rsc @ 2001-04-23  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

scott posted diffs to make it compile
under the ape long long ago.  i applied them
by hand to 2.6.2 a month or two ago.

download pgp262s.tar.gz from somewhere.
in that is pgp262si.tar.  untar that and then
extract http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~rsc/pgp.tar.gz
in the src directory to overwrite some (non-crypto)
source files and the makefile.  then "make plan9-8"
to build for 386.

i was going to post the whole source tree but
that's probably illegal unless i make sure
not to give it to unfriendly countries (who
shouldn't have plan 9 anyway).

russ

* Re: [9fans] PGP
@ 2001-04-23  6:01   ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2001-04-23  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-04-23  5:53 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-04-23  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can't seem to find the sources, but I still have a 2ed PGP binary.
Does anyone know where I can find an update?  Or, for that matter, how
I came across the 2ed version?

++L