* Re: [9fans] *&^*%$^ plan 9 license
@ 2002-09-10 13:25 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-09-10 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It's the one thing we don't seem to have backed up.  I'ld be
happy if you mailed it to us.  I'm sure rob has one but he's
in Australia and not checking in very often.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1351 bytes --]

From: Fco.J.Ballesteros <nemo@plan9.escet.urjc.es>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] *&^*%$^ plan 9 license
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:23:13 +0200

I have the old copy in our worm, if you mean you don't
have the previous version ;-)

Thanks for such a nice fs :-)

* Re: [9fans] *&^*%$^ plan 9 license
@ 2002-09-10 14:22 ` Peter Downs
From: Peter Downs @ 2002-09-10 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Conspiracy!!!

--
perl -ne'chomp;$a.=pack"h*",$_;END{print"\n$a\n\n"}'<<EOM
05564756270244f677e637a0

* Re: [9fans] *&^*%$^ plan 9 license
@ 2002-09-10 17:32 Eric Grosse
From: Eric Grosse @ 2002-09-10 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

; ls -l /n/sourcesdump/2002/^(0801 0901)^/plan9/LICENSE
--r--r--r-- M 451316 glenda sys 35389 Apr 14 12:51 /n/sourcesdump/2002/0801/plan9/LICENSE
--r--r--r-- M 451316 glenda sys 35802 Aug 20 16:00 /n/sourcesdump/2002/0901/plan9/LICENSE
; diff /n/sourcesdump/2002/^(0801 0901)^/plan9/LICENSE
62,79c62,84
< non-commercial purposes.  This grant includes a nonexclusive and
< non-transferable license under any patents which Lucent has a right to
< license and which, but for this license, are unavoidably and
< necessarily infringed by the execution of the inherent functionality
< of the Original Software in the form furnished under this Agreement.
< Nothing in this Agreement shall be construed as conferring in any way
< (by implication, estoppel or otherwise) any license or right under any
< existing or future patent claim which is directed to a combination of
< the functionality of the Original Software with the functionality of
< any other software programs, or a combination of hardware systems
< other than the combination of the Original Software and the hardware
< or firmware into which the Original Software is loaded.  Distribution
< of Licensed Software to third parties pursuant to this grant shall be
< subject to the same terms and conditions as set forth in this
< Agreement, and may, at Your option, include a reasonable charge for
< the cost of any media.  You may also, at Your option, charge for any
< other software, product or service that includes or incorporates the
< Original Software as a part thereof.
---
> non-commercial purposesas an operating system substantially similar to
> functioning Plan 9 software.  No right is granted to use, reproduce,
> modify, execute, display, perform, distribute or sublicense the
> Original Software or any modules or portions thereof as a part of, or
> in conjunction with, any other operating system or application.  This
> grant includes a nonexclusive and non-transferable license under any
> patents which Lucent has a right to license and which, but for this
> license, are unavoidably and necessarily infringed by the execution of
> the inherent functionality of the Original Software in the form
> furnished under this Agreement.  Nothing in this Agreement shall be
> construed as conferring in any way (by implication, estoppel or
> otherwise) any license or right under any existing or future patent
> claim which is directed to a combination of the functionality of the
> Original Software with the functionality of any other software
> programs, or a combination of hardware systems other than the
> combination of the Original Software and the hardware or firmware into
> which the Original Software is loaded.  Distribution of Licensed
> Software to third parties pursuant to this grant shall be subject to
> the same terms and conditions as set forth in this Agreement, and may,
> at Your option, include a reasonable charge for the cost of any media.
> You may also, at Your option, charge for any other software, product
> or service that includes or incorporates the Original Software as a
> part thereof.
227,229c232,234
< Modifications, and to grant third parties the right to do so,
< including without limitation as a part of or with the Licensed
< Software; and Original Contributor and/or other Contributors shall
---
> Modifications as a part of an operating system substantially similar
> to functioning Plan 9 software, and to grant third parties the right
> to do so; and Original Contributor and/or other Contributors shall
231,237c236,243
< such Modifications without notice, obligation or recourse to You. You
< grant to Original Contributor, Contributors and their respective
< licensees all rights and licenses (including patents) as are necessary
< to incorporate the Modifications created or contributed and so
< distributed by You into the Licensed Software and to use, distribute
< or otherwise exploit such Licensed Software without payment or
< accounting to You.
---
> such Modifications as a part of an operating system substantially
> similar to functioning Plan 9 software without notice, obligation or
> recourse to You.  You grant to Original Contributor, Contributors and
> their respective licensees all rights and licenses (including patents)
> as are necessary to incorporate the Modifications created or
> contributed and so distributed by You into the Licensed Software and
> to use, distribute or otherwise exploit such Licensed Software without
> payment or accounting to You.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3296 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 168 bytes --]

It's the one thing we don't seem to have backed up.  I'ld be
happy if you mailed it to us.  I'm sure rob has one but he's
in Australia and not checking in very often.

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1351 bytes --]

From: Fco.J.Ballesteros <nemo@plan9.escet.urjc.es>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:23:13 +0200

@ 2002-09-10 16:55 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-09-10 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It is indeed.  Unfortunately, it seems mostly like a conspiracy
to confuse me.  Apparently, it doesn't take much conspiring to do that...

* Re: [9fans] *&^*%$^ plan 9 license
@ 2002-09-10 13:51 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-09-10 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It is indeed.  Unfortunately, it seems mostly like a conspiracy
> to confuse me.  Apparently, it doesn't take much conspiring to do that...

Based on the information you provided earlier, my conspiracy theory is
that it was a practical joke on all of us by a certain someone who is
incommunicado somewhere in the southern hemisphere.  ☺☺☺

* Re: [9fans] *&^*%$^ plan 9 license
@ 2002-09-10 13:23 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-09-10 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have the old copy in our worm, if you mean you don't
have the previous version ;-)

Thanks for such a nice fs :-)

* [9fans] *&^*%$^ plan 9 license
@ 2002-09-10 13:20 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-09-10 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ignore the churn in plan 9 license files.  I'm trying to find my way
back to what we used to have.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 License
@ 2000-06-10 12:49 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-06-10 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	One question has just struck me.  Presumably version 2 by defaults remains
	under the license it was released with.  Is it preposterous to expect the
	new terms to be appled retroactively to those of us who have access to it?

There are a number of elements of the 1995 release that were provided
only under the terms of that release.  For example, the sources for the
NeXTstation were made available, after much negotiation, provided that
we were producing a limited number of CDs for strictly non-commercial
distribution.  A number of things, including the NeXTstation sources, are
not available in the third release because the required permission could
not be obtained to make them available under an open source license.
Another example is the RNGC2000.0 database.

In other words, the new license does not apply to the version 2, 1995
release of Plan 9.  The open source license is not retroactive.

-rob

* [9fans] Plan 9 License
@ 2000-06-10  9:18 Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2000-06-10  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

One question has just struck me.  Presumably version 2 by defaults remains
under the license it was released with.  Is it preposterous to expect the
new terms to be appled retroactively to those of us who have access to it?
If necessary by signing a new agreement with Lucent?

++L