* [9fans] rio failure
@ 2002-09-23 14:11 John Saylor
From: John Saylor @ 2002-09-23 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi

I have successfully installed the 4th edition of plan 9 and will admit
to getting a little tinge when I saw that lone percent sign staring at
me.

%

I tried to start rio but I got this back:
rio: can't open display: initdisplay: /dev/draw/new: no frame buffer

The graphics hardware that I have is as follows:
chip: CL-GD5428 Rev 0
mem: 512K

Is this just too wimpy to run rio? The chip is on the list, and I didn't
see anything about memory requirements there ...

--
.--- ...

* Re: [9fans] rio failure
@ 2002-09-23 15:54 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-23 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Log in as glenda rather than none.
None is the anti-super user and by default
doesn't start vga or rio (it's also the account of last
resort when your vga settings are screwed up).

The ``kinda went into rio'' mode was actually just
vga without rio.  Running rio would have started
rio for you.

Sorry about the confusion.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] rio failure
@ 2002-09-23 15:49 ` John Saylor
From: John Saylor @ 2002-09-23 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi

( 02.09.23 11:01 -0400 ) Russ Cox:
> What does this print:
> 	whatis mouseport vgasize

mouseport=ps2
vgasize=800x600x8

> What happens if you do:
> 	aux/mouse ps2
> 	aux/vga -m xga -l 640x480x16

The aux/mouse setting runs just fine [I am returned to the prompt]

With the vga command I got this back:
% aux/vga -m xga -l 640x480x16
aux/vga: clgd542x: depth 16 not supported

So, I changed it to '640x480x8' and it kinda went into rio. I have a
prompt that I can see [and use to shut down kfs], but most of the
display is unusable. There are some veritical lines at the top, and
bunches of horizontal lines at the bottom with the middle mostly blank.

Also, when I start I see this:

#A: no response #ff
root is from (il, local)[local!#S/sdC0/fs]:
user[none]:
aro rxmitproc started
kfs...version...time...

init: starting /bin/rc
dossrv: serving #s/dos
Can't cd /usr/none: '/usr/none' does not exist
lib/profile: rc: .: can't open: '/bin/lib' directory entry not found
init: rc exit status: rc 13: can't open

init: starting /bin/rc
%

I'm hoping the errors from rc are because I'm user 'none' rather than
any kind of configuration error on my part.

Thanks for your help so far.

--
.--- ...

* Re: [9fans] rio failure