* Re: [9fans] RTL8139 not detected during install
@ 2002-09-24 15:49 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-24 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The RTL8139 driver isn't included in the install kernel,
a bug I plan to fix in the next day or two.  Sorry for the
confusion.  I've put a check into the build process to
make sure no ether drivers are left behind in the future.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] RTL8139 not detected during install
@ 2002-09-24 18:41 ` Munish Chopra
From: Munish Chopra @ 2002-09-24 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 2002-09-24 11:49 +0000, Russ Cox wrote:
> The RTL8139 driver isn't included in the install kernel,
> a bug I plan to fix in the next day or two.  Sorry for the
> confusion.  I've put a check into the build process to
> make sure no ether drivers are left behind in the future.
>
> Russ

Ahh, so that's it. I'm assuming you mean the build process for the boot
disks? Should I just keep on trying an install every day or could you
perhaps send a heads-up when you've fixed this?

Thanks.

--
Munish Chopra

* Re: [9fans] RTL8139 not detected during install
@ 2002-09-24 21:07 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-24 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I will post a message once I've gotten
the new boot disk and CD out there.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] RTL8139 not detected during install
@ 2002-09-24 15:23 ` Peter Bornemann
From: Peter Bornemann @ 2002-09-24 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry to intrude here as I am quite new to the list, but my problem seems
to be about the same. My RTL8139 is not detected either. I have tried to
give irq, adress, mem and size in plan9.ini to no avail so far. command
pci shows the device however, with the vendor number as listed somewhere
in /sys/src/<whatever.c> (Sorry, but obviously I am not running the systen
now :( ), so that should be no problem.

Any help would be really welcome!

Your rather helpless newbie Peter B

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> Do you know what the PCI vendor and device IDs are for the ethernet
> controller? Sometimes they are different from the default Realtek ones.

          .         .
          |\_-^^^-_/|
          / (|)_(|) \
         ( === X === )
          \  ._|_.  /
           ^-_   _-^
              ᅵᅵᅵ

* Re: [9fans] RTL8139 not detected during install
@ 2002-09-24 12:19 jmk
From: jmk @ 2002-09-24 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-09-24 12:13 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-24 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Are there any lines of the form

	#l0: <more stuff here>

printed during boot?

Russ

* [9fans] RTL8139 not detected during install
@ 2002-09-24  7:16 Munish Chopra
From: Munish Chopra @ 2002-09-24  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Well, to my great delight the fourth edition of Plan 9 supports some of
the NVIDIA cards I have, so I set forth to get it installed on a machine
I have lying around.

Everything is just dandy (following the wiki installation instructions)
until I hit the confignet task, at which point "No ethernet card was
detected...". Meanwhile, there is a Realtek 8139 (PCI) in the box.

The Wiki notes for supported hardware mention this:

"# RealTek 8139 Ethernet controller; usually bundled into low-end
systems. (not detected on some (read: my) systems)"

Now, I suppose I could go find a cheap Netgear or so (can't be more than
$10 CAD I guess), but I was just wondering if there is a way to get the
Realtek detected or found.

My apologies if this has been answered in the archives, I can't seem to
get to https://lists.cse.psu.edu/ right now.

Thanks.

--
Munish Chopra