* [9fans] Alpha compiler chokes on webfs/io.c; various fixes.
@ 2002-10-14 19:53 Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-10-14 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hey Folks,
   Just for the hell of it, last night I decided to try building Plan
9 for a bunch of different architectures.  I encounted a few problems,
and fixed what I could (and what I had time for).  Some diff's (in the
ed-script format, perhaps this'll be easier to apply) follow.
   First, some directories need to be created: /^(power arm)^/bin/ip/httpd
and /^(power arm)^/bin/usb are missing from the distribution.
   Second, the alpha build choked on building io.c in /sys/src/cmd/webfs.
A diff to fix it follows:

term% diff -e /n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/webfs/io.c io.c
52,56c
	addr = va_arg(*arg, char*);
	local = va_arg(*arg, char*);
	dir = va_arg(*arg, char*);
	cfdp = va_arg(*arg, int*);
	usetls = va_arg(*arg, int);
.
term%

Note the *'s before `arg' in the macro call.
   Next, the MIPS compiler (actually, assembler) chokes on the stuff
in /sys/src/libmp/mips, but my MIPS book is literally buried under a
bunch of stuff right now, so I didn't track that down, but perhaps
someone is more familiar with it and knows what's up.
   When building kernels, the mtx build failed due to things missing
during the link stage.  A diff:

term% diff -e /n/sources/plan9/sys/src/9/mtx/mkfile mkfile
21a
	nulledf.$O\
.
17a
	devrealtime.$O\
.
term%

And similarly, the alphapc mkfile needed an addition:

term% diff -e /n/sources/plan9/sys/src/9/alphapc/mkfile mkfile
17a
	devrealtime.$O\
.
term%

That's basically it.  I'm not sure anyone really cares, since alpha's
probably aren't used much anymore, and not a lot of people have mtx's,
but I thought I'd send along the diff's anyway.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Alpha compiler chokes on webfs/io.c; various fixes.
@ 2002-10-14 20:30 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-10-14 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>    First, some directories need to be created: /^(power arm)^/bin/ip/httpd
> and /^(power arm)^/bin/usb are missing from the distribution.

Same for bitsy.

* Re: [9fans] Alpha compiler chokes on webfs/io.c; various fixes.
@ 2002-10-14 20:32   ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-10-14 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

(sorry about this. yes, bitsy == arm. too much dual pcmcia pack hacking)

@ 2002-10-14 21:48 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-10-14 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Arghhh!!! I can't send a mail message to save my life,  this
> should have said:
>
> 	Its trying to compile mips assembly with a powerpc assembler.

That's all right; I apparantly can't notice rather basic things like
that the wrong assembler was being invoked.  Maybe I should get more
sleep.

> I've updated the mkfile on sources.

Thanks.

@ 2002-10-14 20:26 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-10-14 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

should have said:

	Its trying to compile mips assembly with a powerpc assembler.

I've updated the mkfile on sources.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4925 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 191 bytes --]

The libmp/mips stuff doesn't assemble because someone did this at the
beginning of the mkfile:

objtype=mips
</power/mkfile

Its trying to compile mips assembly with an alpha assembler.

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3175 bytes --]

From: Dan Cross <cross@math.psu.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Alpha compiler chokes on webfs/io.c; various fixes.
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:53:08 -0400

@ 2002-10-14 20:20 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-10-14 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The libmp/mips stuff doesn't assemble because someone did this at the
beginning of the mkfile:

objtype=mips
</power/mkfile

Its trying to compile mips assembly with an alpha assembler.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3175 bytes --]

From: Dan Cross <cross@math.psu.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:53:08 -0400

@ 2002-10-14 20:02 Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2002-10-14 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>   Next, the MIPS compiler (actually, assembler) chokes on the stuff
>>in /sys/src/libmp/mips, but my MIPS book is literally buried under a
>>bunch of stuff right now, so I didn't track that down, but perhaps
>>someone is more familiar with it and knows what's up.

i'm not surprised.  it seems to be powerpc code.