* Re: [9fans] South bridge not found
@ 2002-10-22  6:59 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-10-22  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It is vid=0x10DE did=0x0171.

I tried Russ's patch, and recompiled kernel, and got panic. :-)
Please wait for a while, I have not updated source tree for a while.
settime() is the problem (only one, I don't knwo).

After solving this problem, I'll try Russ's suggestion.

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2243 bytes --]

From: andrey mirtchovski <andrey@lanl.gov>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] South bridge not found
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 00:46:13 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Russ Cox wrote:

> That makes the problem a lot easier.

[snip]

As usual, you have the correct solution.

What is the vendor ID for this card? It should be in the current
P9 driver already, but that means somebody actually had a card with the same
device ID and did not report a problem?

I definitely have had no such experience with the Ti4600...

andrey

* Re: [9fans] South bridge not found
@ 2002-10-22 14:34 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-10-22 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp wrote:

> It is vid=0x10DE did=0x0171.

the nvidia driver on sources does not recognize a did of 0x0171.
according to my sources it's a GeForce4 MX 440 (and that's what
it is added as in the patch on ACL's web site)..

can you send me your working code so I can fix it on the web page?

I would suggest again that the driver be added to sources.cs.bell-labs,
but as you can see not nearly enough people have the GeForce4 hardware
and more testing should be done...

you're running on 1600x1200x32, how is the speed?

andrey

* Re: [9fans] South bridge not found
@ 2002-10-23  1:15 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-10-23  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I chose this because it has 64MB memory which influences anything to
> me is not uncertain though.

as long as there's enough to hold the screen image,
plan 9 doesn't care how much more there is.
we don't do anything fancy with the rest of the
memory.

even a huge screen like 2000x1500x32 (just made
that up) is only 12meg, so for every card now on the
market, the answer to how much memory it has is
``enough'' as far as plan 9 is concerned.

* Re: [9fans] South bridge not found
@ 2002-10-23  1:04 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-10-23  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've never touched the sources of vganvidia.c, if my memory is correct
(it's doubtfull enough these days, though).   If I did, I just added the line
of
>	0x0170,		/* GeForce4 MX 460 */
>	0x0171,		/* GeForce4 MX 440 */   <<<<<
>	0x0172,		/* GeForce4 MX 420 */.

However, I think I did not do so, because the source I got yesterday from
your site is same to that I'm now using.   I added a line only to /lib/vgadb,
I remember.

This card works very charm to me now for 1600x1200x32 which is very
severe condition to me to use Plan 9 for some works.  :-).
I feel the speed of this card is not different from my other GeForce 2 MX.
This card has unused TV port though. :-)
I chose this because it has 64MB memory which influences anything to
me is not uncertain though.

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2458 bytes --]

From: andrey mirtchovski <andrey@lanl.gov>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:34:13 -0600 (MDT)

@ 2002-10-22  8:09 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-10-22  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi Russ,

Yes, you are right.  The problem was fixed.
So, I have to recognize the card identity before /sys/src/9/pc/vganvidia.c:/^nvidiacurload will be called...  My another nvidia card (GeForce 2 MX) does right
order of left and right.

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4500 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 287 bytes --]

It is vid=0x10DE did=0x0171.

I tried Russ's patch, and recompiled kernel, and got panic. :-)
Please wait for a while, I have not updated source tree for a while.
settime() is the problem (only one, I don't knwo).

After solving this problem, I'll try Russ's suggestion.

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2243 bytes --]

From: andrey mirtchovski <andrey@lanl.gov>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 00:46:13 -0600 (MDT)

@ 2002-10-22  6:46 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-10-22  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-10-22  6:29 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-10-22  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The problem is the left-half and right-half of the cursor are interchanged
> each other, that is right-half and then left-half of the cursor.   I don't know
> how to solve this problem, of course, we can change the cursor shape to
> adujust just for this card...

That makes the problem a lot easier.

In /sys/src/9/pc/vganvidia.c:/^nvidiacurload, try
changing

		c = (curs->clr[2 * i] << 8) | curs->clr[2 * i+1];
		s = (curs->set[2 * i] << 8) | curs->set[2 * i+1];

		c = (curs->clr[2*i+1] << 8) | curs->clr[2*i];
		s = (curs->set[2*i+1] << 8) | curs->set[2*i];

and see if it fixes your problem.  (I will be surprised,
but hey, you never know.)  Maybe we need to switch
byte order depending on the particular card.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] South bridge not found
@ 2002-10-22  6:24 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-10-22  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I forgot to write to this list...

>One of the problem is that the shape of cursor, which is strange and difficult

The problem is the left-half and right-half of the cursor are interchanged
each other, that is right-half and then left-half of the cursor.   I don't know
how to solve this problem, of course, we can change the cursor shape to
adujust just for this card...

>keyboard/mouse/display switch box for two machines (one for Linux box

This was a problem of tight connection of cables.  It was solved.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] South bridge not found
@ 2002-10-22  3:24 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-10-22  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thank you very much, andrey

I've just confirmed that I'm using your newest nvidia driver...

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2145 bytes --]

From: andrey mirtchovski <andrey@lanl.gov>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:30:39 -0600 (MDT)

see if this fixes your geforce problem:

http://www.acl.lanl.gov/plan9/geforce4/index.html

it is the normal nvidia driver modified to work with GeForce4
Ti 4600... I haven't had any other GeForce4 to test with,
so make sure you save your old nvidia.c and vganvidia.c!

andrey

* Re: [9fans] South bridge not found
@ 2002-10-22  2:30 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-10-22  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-10-22  2:15 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-10-22  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thank you very much.

I'm now writing this mail from the cute cubic terminal using GeForce 4
Inno3D MX(440) TV 64MB AGP graphic card.   The terminal reports my
CPU (Pen4 1.8GHz) speed as 1791 MHz, probably it's in a safe error range.
"date" command shows right answer, etc..., No, I have no problem so far,
excepting next small two.  ^_^

One of the problem is that the shape of cursor, which is strange and difficult
to discribe it.   It has normal size, but strange shape, somewhat rectangular
with black and white mozaics.

Another problem is not Plan 9 related, but it's severe to me.   I'm using
keyboard/mouse/display switch box for two machines (one for Linux box
and the other for Plan 9 terminal side my desk), but it does not work properly.
If I connect mouse/keyboard/display cables directly to those individual
devices, I have no problem now.

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1987 bytes --]

From: David Gordon Hogan <dhog@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:01:04 -0400

> What does the line "pcirouting: South bridge 1106, 3147 not found"?
> How I can avoid this line for my new terminal?

It's safe to ignore that line.  It means that the south bridge in
your PC isn't one of the ones that the PCI code knows about.
Fortuneately, the PCI code doesn't need to do anything with
the south bridge unless the BIOS is broken, which is fairly
rare.

* Re: [9fans] South bridge not found
@ 2002-10-21 18:01 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2002-10-21 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-10-21  9:33 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-10-21  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The previous mail was not right enough.

The line of "pcirouting: South bridge 1106, 3147 not found" is still visible,
however, I can boot that machine from the network.

By the way GeForce 4 card is supported?
Mine is
	vid=0x10DE, did=0x0171  64MB RAM
This card can be recognized, and displayes windows, however, cursol
does not work...

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2551 bytes --]

From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] South bridge not found
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:41:08 +0900

I'm now trying to use a small PC (21.5x300x20.5cm) for 9 terminal.
Name of the motherboard is CFI-S86, and uses VIA P4M266 chipsets.
Some specks are as follows:
	VIA P4M266 chipsets
	Winbond W83627HF LPC controller
	Realtek RTL8100b Ethernet controller
	NEC uPD720100AGM USB 2.0 controller
	Pen 4/1.8GHz
	VGA external AGP GeForce4 MX
		(on board it has S3 ProSavage8 32MB shared memory)

When I boot this machine from Plan 9 floppy, I got messages
like this:

PBS... Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 9E00
apm ax=f000 cx=f000 dx=fdf5 di=0 ebx=7cfc esi=1fff03e4
using fd0!dos!plan9.ini
dev A0 port 1F0 config 85C0 capabilities 0F00 mwdma 0407 udma 0007
pcirouting: South bridge 1106, 3147 not found
ether#0: rtl8139: port 0xE000 irq=11: xxxxxxxxxxxx
bootp timed out

@ 2002-10-21  7:41 okamoto