* [9fans] Plan9/Inferno based commercial products/services
@ 2002-11-01 17:25 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-11-01 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am compiling a list of existing (or announced) products, services
and solutions that are based, literally or conceptually, on Plan9 (or
Inferno).

Here is a start:

- Lucent's VPN Firewall Brick
- Lucent's (NOT Datang Telecom Tech's ☺) PathStart Access Server
- Vita Nuova's Inferno and Plan9 packages
- AmericanVOD (www.americanvod.com)  (??? not much info on this)
- nCUBE VOD Server (I think it is based on 2/ed)

Are there others?

* Re: [9fans] Plan9/Inferno based commercial products/services
@ 2002-11-01 22:18 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2002-11-01 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: hangar18-general, joew, hell

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 1670 bytes --]

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:

> I am compiling a list of existing (or announced) products, services
> and solutions that are based, literally or conceptually, on Plan9 (or
> Inferno).
>
> Here is a start:
>
> - Lucent's VPN Firewall Brick
> - Lucent's (NOT Datang Telecom Tech's ☺) PathStart Access Server
> - Vita Nuova's Inferno and Plan9 packages
> - AmericanVOD (www.americanvod.com)  (??? not much info on this)
> - nCUBE VOD Server (I think it is based on 2/ed)
>
> Are there others?

I'm not sure, but possibly. I'm involved in starting a company built
around various sorts of 24/365 on-call and contract IT and programming
services built around Open Technology. Plan 9 and Inferno will feature
in that to a significant degree. The company is In Silica, LLC. Though
it will operate under a DBA (Open Forge). The Hangar 18 project is only
one of the things we've got going. Our focus is on reliable distributed
computing, global sign on, business informatics & automation. If all
went well the paperwork hit the state's desk this afternoon. Should be
in business (technically) sometime next week.

If you would like more details please contact me directly.

    We don't see things as they are,                      ravage@ssz.com
    we see them as we are.                                   www.ssz.com
                                                  jchoate@open-forge.org
    Anais Nin                                         www.open-forge.org

* Re: [9fans] Plan9/Inferno based commercial products/services
@ 2002-11-02 14:08 ` FODEMESI Gergely
From: FODEMESI Gergely @ 2002-11-02 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 759 bytes --]

Not really based on plan9, but the idea is based(?) on venti or something
like venti: www.avamar.com. Though I haven't seen any credits to any of
the original authors.
$175.000 for an enterprise sized backup appliance...

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:

> I am compiling a list of existing (or announced) products, services
> and solutions that are based, literally or conceptually, on Plan9 (or
> Inferno).
>
> Here is a start:
>
> - Lucent's VPN Firewall Brick
> - Lucent's (NOT Datang Telecom Tech's ☺) PathStart Access Server
> - Vita Nuova's Inferno and Plan9 packages
> - AmericanVOD (www.americanvod.com)  (??? not much info on this)
> - nCUBE VOD Server (I think it is based on 2/ed)
>
> Are there others?

* [9fans] vgadb
@ 2002-11-04 21:19   ` Peter Downs
From: Peter Downs @ 2002-11-04 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: hangar18-general, joew, hell

I have an IBM personal computer 750, with onboard S3 Trio64.

the default boot disk couldn't start rio, but adding this to
vgadb got it working.

ctlr
        0xC0044="S3 TRIO64V+ 40MHz V1.01-01"
        link=vga
        hwgc=s3hwgc
        ctlr=trio64 linear=1
        link=ibm8514

this merges nicely with the other Phoenix S3 TRIO64 Enhanced VGA entries.

peter

* [9fans] vgadb
@ 2000-06-13  9:11 ggunning
From: ggunning @ 2000-06-13  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have been trying to install plan9, however I get told
aux/vga controller not in /lib/vgadb
I also tried using 600x480 to no avail.
It reports the card as
ATI MACH64, PCI BIOS P/N 113-25517-100
(C) 1988-94, ATI Technologies Inc
.BK3.4/0.030MACH64GXPCIUN
which is ok. I think I am meant to now edit the vgadb file
do I do this to the image before I put it on the floppy or  at
the % prompt.

Thanks for your assistance.