* Re: [9fans] new software at sources
@ 2002-11-07 15:54 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-11-07 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'll wait till I hear from russ

* Re: [9fans] new software at sources
@ 2002-11-07 16:17 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-11-07 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 10:54:17AM -0500, presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> I'll wait till I hear from russ

Any reason why the IDEFS can't be assimilated into sources too?

++L

* Re: [9fans] new software at sources
@ 2002-11-07 18:30   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-11-07 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > I'll wait till I hear from russ
>
> Any reason why the IDEFS can't be assimilated into sources too?

How about the mount point FS that was getting thrown around a few months
ago?  That seemed like such an elegant idea.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] new software at sources
@ 2002-11-08  3:39 jmk
From: jmk @ 2002-11-08  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We (me, mostly) made a number of false starts at something to replace
the old fileserver design. Over the summer Sean Quinlan and I (he, mostly)
laid the framework for something which uses 9P2000 and ultimately has Venti
at the back end. Sean left when it was still in a prototype stage but, with
his continued input, we continue to work on it as best we can. We will
make it available as soon as possible for feedback and comment, once the
churn subsides and it becomes a little less rudimentary.

--jim

@ 2002-11-07 17:12 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-11-07 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-11-07 16:40 jmk
From: jmk @ 2002-11-07 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-11-07 15:47 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-11-07 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For me that'd be great.
Just let me know if that's what you want.

thanks a lot

* Re: [9fans] new software at sources
@ 2002-11-07 15:45 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-11-07 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I meant, why don't we just copy your kernel into /sys/src/9/bitsy and
let you update it there.  We don't seem to be doing anything useful
there these days, everyone is elsewhere occupied.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2866 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 139 bytes --]

Be it or not, I'll do my best to keep it clean & updated
wrt your source.  It's just so nice to read and change your code...
snif snif.

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1173 bytes --]

From: presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] new software at sources
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:35:24 -0500

Why is it that we don't make your bitsy kernel the real one?

* Re: [9fans] new software at sources
@ 2002-11-07 15:41 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-11-07 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Be it or not, I'll do my best to keep it clean & updated
wrt your source.  It's just so nice to read and change your code...
snif snif.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1173 bytes --]

From: presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:35:24 -0500

@ 2002-11-07 15:35 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-11-07 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-11-07 15:29 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-11-07 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

	just to make things easier for us, most software previously
available at http://plan9.escet.urjc.es (and a few more things) is
now available at sources under /n/sources/nemo.  There's a readme file
there with instructions about how to download/install it (i.e.  using
replica/pull).

Most of this sofware comes from the work done by people from the
9fans mailing list, some of them from the Rey Juan Carlos University
where this sofware repository was hosted.

As a reminder, this is the software:

- kbmap: alternate keyboard driver with keyboard maps
- trfs: translates spaces to a different rune
- idefs: alternate fs kernel for big ide disks w/ mirror device
- bitsy: alternate bitsy kernel (suspends/resumes on rtc, ata disks, etc.)
- wcal: calendar program
- joinfs: to handle big 9660 images
- slider: to set volume and other things.
- mandel: simple program to draw Mandelbrot and Julia sets

Hopefully, bugs (and their fixes) will propagate faster this way.

enjoy

PS: Thanks a lot to rsc and others for setting up sources!