* Re: [9fans] netgear 622T
@ 2002-11-21  7:32 Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2002-11-21  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In addition to today's updates, you'll need this file,
/sys/src/9/pc/compat.h (which is quite different from
/sys/src/fs/pc/compat.h):
---
/*
 * compatibility hacks to permit drivers from the cpu/terminal kernel
 * to be moved to the fs kernel (and eventually 9load)
 */
#define ETHERIQ etheriq
#define SETWPCNT(bp, cnt)	(bp)->wp = (bp)->rp + (cnt)
#define BLKRESET(bp)		(bp)->wp = (bp)->rp = (bp)->lim - Rbsz
#define INCRPTR(bp, incr)	(bp)->wp += (incr)

#define etheroq(edev)		qget((edev)->oq)
---

I have run gigabit Ethernet directly between a file server and cpu
server using this driver (/sys/src/fs/pc/etherdp83820.c and, in my cpu
kernel, an identical copy named /sys/src/9/pc/etherdp83820.c), a
D-link DGE500-T card in each, and a straight-through `category 6'
cable (the cards are smart enough to figure out if the cable is
straight-through or twisted and compensate).  Performance is only
slightly better than full-duplex 100Mb/s connections through a switch,
with this version of the driver.

/sys/src/fs/pc/ether83815.c should now also compile in both kernels.
It's Charles Forsyth's driver, dirtied up by me in a half-finished
attempt to add support for the SiS 900.  It still works on the FA311
at least.

/sys/src/fs/pc/ether8139.c may compile in both kernels.  I made a
start at converting it, but don't have any 8139s to test with.

* Re: [9fans] netgear 622T
@ 2002-11-21 14:41 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-11-21 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Geoff Collyer wrote:

> /sys/src/fs/pc/ether83815.c should now also compile in both kernels.
> It's Charles Forsyth's driver, dirtied up by me in a half-finished
> attempt to add support for the SiS 900.  It still works on the FA311
> at least.

see if this helps:

	http://www.acl.lanl.gov/plan9/sis900/index.html

* Re: [9fans] netgear 622T
@ 2002-11-21  5:11 jmk
From: jmk @ 2002-11-21  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Geoff Collyer points out that an earlier version of the
driver for the DP83820 can be found in the recently-posted-to-sources
update of the fs kernel in pc/etherdp83820.c; he modified it to be
able to be compiled in both the fs and regular kernels. I did some
more work on the driver after that version to deal better with
autonegotiation and some performance problems; I will try to find the
card and post a newer version when I get the opportunity.

Geoff and Nemo are to be thanked for the fs kernel updates.

* Re: [9fans] netgear 622T
@ 2002-11-20 20:28 jmk
From: jmk @ 2002-11-20 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Nov 20 15:18:29 EST 2002, bwc@coraid.com wrote:
> What magic incantations do I need to perform to
> get my 1000MB Netgear to be recognized?
>
>   Brantley

You need a driver for the National DP83820 chip. I have one somewhere, but
I don't remember what state I left it in after working on the auto-negotiation
and I don't remember where the card is now.

* [9fans] netgear 622T
@ 2002-11-20 20:18 bwc
From: bwc @ 2002-11-20 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans