From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 08:38:12 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 12:58:09AM -0500, Bruce Ellis wrote:

> A fashion?  I wish it would die.  But then again my wardrobe says
> something about doing something for the helluva it.

Some fashions never do, look at automobiles.  They still have a wheel
at each of four corners of a rectangle, with panels that bend when
bumped.

> No need to dream.  The jump from the Inferno port to a plan9 port
> is largely known territory.  It's just a whacky mips and so if you are
> willing to get the mmu/tlb stuff right then you are almost there.  The
> most interesting part is deciding what to do about graphics.  /dev/draw
> would be an easy way out (the linux guys just went for a slow X) but
> the chip is more fun than that.

A fast VNC would justify me buying it already.  Games would be a
terribly exciting option.  What are we wasting our time on 386s
for? And, last important question, how well does the chip deal with
virtualisation?

Oh, clustering would be neat too, but maybe I should keep that for
Slashdot :-)

++L