From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 18:49:44 +0900	[thread overview]

> hmm. I've seen 12 second-to-multiuser boots or less with linuxbios
> machines from power-on. I have a busybox linux+linuxbios box that boots in
> 5 seconds -- no /etc/rc nonsense in there though. This is the first box
> I've had that boots faster than an LCD can go from sleep mode to
> displaying.

What is linuxbios machine?  It's BIOS is what written in ROM?

> The problem now is idiot /etc/rc scripts. I have a k6 with normal bios
> that boots redhat 6 faster than a k7+linuxbios box -- the difference is
> the stupid scripts. Lots of 'sleep x' in those things. yuck.

Yes, many server programs are starting during booting of individual desktop
Linux box.   Kanji treating servers are also neccessary to us.  I must wait more
than 1 minutes untill I can login to the machine!!   This is much expanded when
we use gnome...   I believe this is not rare for many of Linux users.

> I like Plan 9 but fast boots is not something I've seen in use.

Probably, your setting would be something special than us, I believe.
When we wnat to use a machine as our desktop, we want to save power when we
are not using, and expect fast booting when we need it.   I choose Plan 9 definitly
than Windows or Unices from this point (other reasons are also there though).
Plan 9 separated terminals from servers, and it contributed for this purpose.
Am I wrong?

Kenji