From: William Josephson <spmnojkw@eecs.harvard.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] fs hardware configuration
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 13:00:27 -0500	[thread overview]

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 08:42:11AM -0500, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> > If those IDE drivers are IBM 120GXPs, have you checked
> > the warranty doesn't preclude 24 7 working?
>
> They are WD.  I had read disturbing stats about Fujitsu drives
> failure rates but not IBM's.  The Fujitsu story is here:

All the manufacturers have had their problems with particular
models.  The 120GXPs (I think) from IBM definitely had major
problems and Fujitsu has had trouble, too.  Western Digital
seems to be known in the industry for very poor QA; it has
been a long time since I've used WD drives, but I did have
quite a bit of trouble when I last used them.  I'm not sure
what to conclude other than "be paranoid if you care about
what is on the disk" :-/