* [9fans] 9Term settings
@ 2002-12-01 15:26 ` Adrian
From: Adrian @ 2002-12-01 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

My name is Adrian, and I am a plan9-aholic.
I`m also sys admin for a very large web hosting company.\
Most of my time is spent ssh`d through a terminal to various
BSDi/FreeBSD/Linux servers. After adding Plan9 to my work station
I find I can`t set 9term to place nice with the other systems.
I get errors about no settings for 9-term.
My Question is how can I run plan9 and still communicate
properly. Currently I can connect and type but can`t use
programs such as vi. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions
greatly appreciated.

Adrian

* Re: [9fans] 9Term settings
@ 2002-12-02  0:31   ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2002-12-02  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| My name is Adrian, and I am a plan9-aholic.
| I`m also sys admin for a very large web hosting company.\
| Most of my time is spent ssh`d through a terminal to various
| BSDi/FreeBSD/Linux servers. After adding Plan9 to my work station
| I find I can`t set 9term to place nice with the other systems.
| I get errors about no settings for 9-term.

You can add an entry to termcap or terminfo, or just tell unix you are
using a terminal named "dumb".

| My Question is how can I run plan9 and still communicate
| properly. Currently I can connect and type but can`t use
| programs such as vi. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions
| greatly appreciated.

Use sam instead of vi!

* Re: [9fans] 9Term settings
@ 2002-12-05  6:53 ` rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2002-12-05  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I do even more than that.  My 9fs rule looks like
	srvssh ...
	bind /n/machine/home /home
so that the file names I find embedded in Unix
files are plumbable.

I hope soon to have ssh windows have plumbable
names back to Plan 9.  Stay tuned.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] 9Term settings
@ 2002-12-05  6:44 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-12-05  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> | My Question is how can I run plan9 and still communicate
> | properly. Currently I can connect and type but can`t use
> | programs such as vi. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions
> | greatly appreciated.
>
> Use sam instead of vi!

Or use u9fs!

Compiling u9fs is one of the first things I do every time
I get a new Unix account.  I run it over ssh through some
convoluted hoops that I've recently packaged into srvssh (see srv(4)).
This way it runs as you talking to your SSH connection, rather than as
a dedicated daemon listening to the network at large.

Combined with this plumbing rule:

	type	is	text
	data	matches	'Local (.*)'
	plumb	to	none
	plumb	start	rc -c $1

and I'm all set.  I type "Local 9fs linux" in an acme window,
button-2 click it, button-3 click it, and now it's mounted
in my acme namespace as well as any rio windows I draw thereafter.

Russ

g% cat /usr/rsc/bin/rc/9fs	# [names below changed to protect the innocent.]
#!/bin/rc

switch($1){
case spade
	srvssh -r -u /home/rsc/u9fs/u9fs spade.demon.com spade /n/spade
case eecs
	srvssh -r -u /home/soda/rsc/u9fs/u9fs soda.eecs.berkeley.edu eecs /n/eecs
case 18.404
	srvssh -r -u /home/18.404/bin/u9fs 18.404@courses.athena.mit.edu 18.404 /n/18.404x &&
	bind /n/18.404x/home/18.404 /n/18.404
case linux
	srvssh -r -u /home/rsc/u9fs/u9fs linux
case ord
	srvssh -r ord.lcs.mit.edu ord /n/ord
case sfo
	srvssh -r sfo.lcs.mit.edu sfo /n/sfo
case ewr
	srvssh -r -u /home/ny3/rsc/bin/FreeBSD/i386/u9fs ewr.lcs.mit.edu ewr /n/ewr
case *
	exec /rc/bin/9fs $*
}
exit ''
g%

* Re: [9fans] 9Term settings
@ 2002-12-01 15:29 nowayjose
From: nowayjose @ 2002-12-01 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Run vt before you connect to the other system.