* [9fans] 4th edition file server available
@ 2003-01-08  6:45 Russ Cox
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-01-08  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The new 4th edition file server, named Fossil,
is now available on sources.  There are some
how-to docs for setting up Venti and Fossil at:

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/setting_up_venti
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/setting_up_fossil

The man pages fossil(4) and fossilcons(8) are
the definitive reference.  /sys/doc/fossil.pdf (aka
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/fossil.pdf)
describes the disk structures and also the Vac
structures for those interested in hacking the
internals.

Conceptually, Fossil is similar to the current file server
with Venti instead of a WORM juke box, but practically
there are many other differences.  It is a user-level
program rather than a special kernel, it speaks 9P2000
(and not 9P1), and there are numerous other improvements,
including enormous file names and also soft updates so that
the disk image is always in a consistent state.

It is still a work in progress, but it's ready to be used
by those feeling adventurous.

Enjoy.
Sean, Jim, Russ

g% x=`{perl -e 'print "a"x2000'}
g% >$x
g% ls -l $x
--rw-rw-r-- M 8 rsc rsc 0 Jan  8 01:30 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
g%

* Re: [9fans] 4th edition file server available
@ 2003-01-08  7:18 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2003-01-08  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> there are numerous other improvements,
> including enormous file names
> g% x=`{perl -e 'print "a"x2000'}
> g% >$x
> g% ls -l $x

This is a new challenge to people coming up with class names (and depth)
for Java.

* Re: [9fans] 4th edition file server available
@ 2003-01-08  8:13 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-01-08  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> there are many other differences.  It is a user-level
> program rather than a special kernel, it speaks 9P2000
> (and not 9P1), and there are numerous other improvements,
> including enormous file names and also soft updates so that
> the disk image is always in a consistent state.

Does this mean we don't need il protocol anymore?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] 4th edition file server available
@ 2003-01-09 13:44 rog
From: rog @ 2003-01-09 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> /sys/doc/fossil.pdf mentions an ``experimental file stack device'' devfs(3).
> I'm just curious; is that man page available?
> (could not find on plan9 web nor on sources)

it's a mistake in the paper.
see instead fs(3).

* [9fans] 4th edition file server available
@ 2003-01-12  2:36 Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2003-01-12  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>It is a user-level program rather than a special kernel
One advantage (as I understood it) of using a specialized kernel was a form of security -- there were *no* user mode programs whose bugs could be exploited. How "standalone" can a Fossil/Venti server be? Can I delete almost everything in /bin to "lock down" the system?

--Joel

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

* Re: [9fans] 4th edition file server available
@ 2003-01-13 10:01 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2003-01-13 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> One advantage (as I understood it) of using a specialized kernel
> was a form of security -- there were *no* user mode programs
> whose bugs could be exploited.

It went further than that: you couldn't even exploit a buffer overflow
to exec a shell, because there was no shell and no exec.

Would it be feasible, as part of bootstrapping a minimal fossil
server, to remove or otherwise disable the exec system call
once everything was running?

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] 4th edition file server available
@ 2003-01-14  6:06 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-01-14  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I wonder, fossil, why so geological name?

 From a view point of geologist, I suppose fossil is not so 'geologic'
name.  ?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] 4th edition file server available
@ 2003-01-14 18:23 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2003-01-14 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It has both the letters f and s in it, was in out dictionary,
> and has a feel of permanence.

It is efficient by being skeletal?

* Re: [9fans] 4th edition file server available
@ 2003-01-14 19:13 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-01-14 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

g% pull
c sys/src/cmd/cpu.c
c 386/bin/cpu
g%

g% cpu -h `{perl -e 'print "a"x1000'}
cpu: can't dial: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa: cs: can't translate address

@ 2003-02-10 21:06 Andrey S. Kukhar
From: Andrey S. Kukhar @ 2003-02-10 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I wonder, fossil, why so geological name?

-kyxap