From: Keith Nash <kjn9@citizenearth.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] got a new feature: learning of resources and switching among them
Date: Sat,  1 Feb 2003 17:40:37 +0000	[thread overview]

1.
Are redirfs, badsrv, intended to do the same thing as "Plan B"?

2.
> > Did anyone (anywhere) ever implement the Resource Location Protocol?
> >
> >    ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc887.txt
>
> I'm not certain, but it's functionally similar to a half-dozen other
> protocols, such as Service Location Protocol (
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2165.html ) which I think only Sun and Apple
> ever put into use, and then Apple abandoned for multicast DNS (
> http://www.multicastdns.org/ ) and DNS Service Discovery (
> http://www.dns-sd.org/ ).

Apple's latest use of this technology is Rendezvous, which is part of OSX, and is open-source:

Open source project page and download: http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/rendezvous/

OSX glossy page: http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/rendezvous.html

press release: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/sep/25rendezvous.html

3.

>       We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
>       are going to spend the rest of our lives.
>
>                               Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

The film that our favourite OS is named after is SO, SO, BAD, that if you start to watch it, the only ways to avoid being bored to death are: (a) to switch it off immediately; (b) to gnaw off your own left leg.  Anyone who remembers dialogue, or the names of characters, must obviously have chosen the latter route.