* [9fans] (None)
@ 2003-02-03  5:48 Newsletter
From: Newsletter @ 2003-02-03  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dear Reader

We offer 100% free ebook each week without any signing up.
For the free ebook of this week please visit http://www.tradetask.com/febook.cfm

Best regards,

If you want to unsubscribe from our mail list reply this mail with REMOVE in subject line.

* [9fans] S3 graphics card prob
@ 2003-02-03 13:46 ` Conor Williams
From: Conor Williams @ 2003-02-03 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi
I have an S3 801/805 card with which 8 1/2 worked
with the 9pcflop kernel. I created a 9pcdisk kernel
and included the s3 line with the +cur part in the mkfile
and loaded up a diskless terminal which has a plan9.ini
that includes the monitor, mouse and vgasize lines.
I get a prompt to my fs server - but get a error about
"no frame buffer" when it tries to load 8 1/2...
How can I get 8 1/2 loaded?
I also do a bind -a '#'i
in my termrc
thanks
will551

* Re: [9fans] S3 graphics card prob
@ 2003-02-03 14:02   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-02-03 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Try running vga by hand:

	aux/vga -m $monitor -l $vgasize
	aux/mouse $mouseport

and see if that gets you into graphics mode.
If so, you can dig through termrc to see
why it's not starting.

I'm confused about what you did.  You said you
built a pcdisk kernel, but the pcdisk kernels
already have s3 support by default.  If you
actually built a cpu server kernel, then you
need to copy the vga initialization code from
/rc/bin/termrc into /rc/bin/cpurc, since cpu servers
boot using the latter script.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] S3 graphics card prob
@ 2003-02-03 14:22     ` Conor Williams
From: Conor Williams @ 2003-02-03 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

tx Russ will try that 2nite

I had to modify the mkfile for the pcdisk cause
I ran out of swap space when compiling...
so what I _should_ have said is that I took out
all graphics support except the s3 line...
and i have that kernel on a floppy which links into
my servers...

@ 2003-02-04  9:06       ` Conor Williams
From: Conor Williams @ 2003-02-04  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

tried that but the vga part hangs my 486 - put the s3 card
into a pentium and it worked - thats fine for now!
Im now have a problem running the cpu -h command
on my text based diskless terminal. I'm getting the error:
cat: cant open /mnt/term/env/wsys: does not exist.
this gets fixed when 8 1/2 starts - is there a way around
this so I can run cpu -h without 8 1/2
tx
will551

@ 2003-02-10  9:31         ` Conor Williams
From: Conor Williams @ 2003-02-10  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

turns out that wsys error was a problem with my profile -
the case:(cpu) gets run when u run the cpu command
and there was an error in this part
.
.
.