* [9fans] the usual...
@ 2003-02-12  5:39 Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2003-02-12  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Friends, remember, no flaming allowed on 9fans.

* Re: [9fans] the usual...
@ 2003-02-12  5:47 ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2003-02-12  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 00:39:09 -0500 Scott Schwartz <schwartz@bio.cse.psu.edu>
wrote:

> Friends, remember, no flaming allowed on 9fans.

"allowed" ???

please, Tell me this is Mark V. Shaney speaking...

-George

* Re: [9fans] the usual...
@ 2003-02-12  6:35   ` Scott Schwartz
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2003-02-12  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 00:39:09 -0500 Scott Schwartz <schwartz@bio.cse.psu.edu>
| > Friends, remember, no flaming allowed on 9fans.
| "allowed" ???
| please, Tell me this is Mark V. Shaney speaking...

No, it's 9fans-owner@cse.psu.edu speaking.

Look, I love a good argument as much as the next person, but there's no
reason to overdo it.

* Re: [9fans] the usual...
@ 2003-02-12  6:43     ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2003-02-12  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: schwartz

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 01:35:49 -0500 Scott Schwartz <schwartz@bio.cse.psu.edu>
wrote:

> | On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 00:39:09 -0500 Scott Schwartz
> <schwartz@bio.cse.psu.edu>| > Friends, remember, no flaming allowed on
> 9fans.| "allowed" ???
> | please, Tell me this is Mark V. Shaney speaking...
>
> No, it's 9fans-owner@cse.psu.edu speaking.
>
> Look, I love a good argument as much as the next person, but there's no
> reason to overdo it.

Is a 'good' argument like 'clean' fun?

(ie, a contradiction in terms probably...)

-George

* Re: [9fans] the usual...
@ 2003-02-12 10:56     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2003-02-12 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Scott Schwartz wrote:

>Look, I love a good argument as much as the next person, but there's no
>reason to overdo it.

This isn't an argument ... It's just contradiction.

* Re: [9fans] the usual...
@ 2003-02-12 12:54 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2003-02-12 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: hangar18-general, hell

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Scott Schwartz wrote:

> Friends, remember, no flaming allowed on 9fans.

Agreed. My unhappiness is with the 'community' not individuals.

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      ravage@ssz.com                            jchoate@open-forge.org
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org

* Re: [9fans] the usual...
@ 2003-02-12 13:47   ` matt
From: matt @ 2003-02-12 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Agreed. My unhappiness is with the 'community' not individuals.

there is no community

* Re: [9fans] the usual...
@ 2003-02-12 14:02     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2003-02-12 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

matt wrote:

>there is no community

Not another nihilist.

* Re: [9fans] the usual...
@ 2003-02-12 16:20   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-02-12 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: hangar18-general, hell

> Agreed. My unhappiness is with the 'community' not individuals.

It seems to me that your outburts do little to further your goals,
yet they usually incite a flame war.  Why not, then, keep them to
yourself?

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] the usual...
@ 2003-02-12 18:46     ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2003-02-12 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Scott Schwartz wrote:
> Look, I love a good argument as much as the next person, but there's no
> reason to overdo it.

What's better than a good argument?  Why, one that's well done, of course!

Though, often I prefer mine rare.

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] the usual...
@ 2003-02-12 23:37     ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2003-02-12 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: hangar18-general, hell

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, matt wrote:

> > Agreed. My unhappiness is with the 'community' not individuals.
>
> there is no community

Well that responce rather speaks for itself, goes right to the heart of
the problem.

@ 2003-02-13  1:52       ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-02-13  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: hangar18-general, hell

> Well that responce rather speaks for itself, goes right to the heart of
> the problem.

One wonders when, in the course of an individuals public record of
contribution, it becomes obvious that that individual has produced
nothing of note, and produced no end except to promote divisiveness
and strife, it doesn't become expedient to boot that individual off
the mailing list.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] the usual...
@ 2003-02-13  2:50         ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-02-13  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

on one hand people are suggesting the last two days' worth of traffic
resembles the freebsd soap opera aired not long ago:

    http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=92148+0+current/freebsd-chat

on the other, you have this old quote from, i believe, presotto with regards
to one TB:

    Leave Thomas alone.  Someone has to whack the hornets
    nest with a branch every now and again just to
    remind the hornets that they're still alive.

so, which one are we having?

andrey

ps: personally, after trying (and failing) to persuade people that plan9 is
worth a try (for the third time) at ucalgary, choate's little rant that
started everything off definitely seems to have touched a note with me...