* [9fans] scsi raid controller
@ 2003-04-14  3:56 Andrew
From: Andrew @ 2003-04-14  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have a couple of scsi raid controllers. One is mylex in nature the
other is some sort of an sd53c8xx. It attaches to a special raid bay
with some drives in it. I've gotten both to work in linux before. I'd
like to use one of these in a venti server. Are they supported? If so
how can I get them to work?

I've tried using a kernel with scsi support for both sdmylex and sd53c8xx
built in. Yet only the onboard scsi shows up.

Thanks
Andrew

* Re: [9fans] scsi raid controller
@ 2003-04-14  4:10 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-04-14  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There's no support for SCSI RAID devices.  If you can get them to imitate
a standard controller, it might work.

	- Dan C.

* RE: [9fans] scsi raid controller
@ 2003-04-14  6:11 ` Nigel Roles
From: Nigel Roles @ 2003-04-14  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm not aware of a 53c8xx raid controller. What does pci say
about the device ids? What is the controller called when connected
to Linux?

@ 2003-04-14 12:55   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-04-14 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> There's no support for SCSI RAID devices.  If you can get them to imitate
> a standard controller, it might work.

Our main Venti server runs on a big RAID.
I don't know details of how it works, but
it does work.  Presumably it does imitate
a really big disk.

There's definitely no support for software
RAID, though if you want mirroring there's fs(3).

* RE: [9fans] scsi raid controller
@ 2003-04-14 13:24     ` Nigel Roles
From: Nigel Roles @ 2003-04-14 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At a guess it's an external box which
emulates a SCSI hard disk, but consists
of a RAID processor and a bank of drives.
Any configuration/rebuild is controlled
by a front panel.

There are also 2 or 3 drive + CPU combos
you can get for PCs which again emulate
a single IDE/SCSI drive. These typically
have hot swap trays and a small LCD to
control them, so that the host PC needs
no extra hardware or software. Quite a nice
way to do it, but not very cheap.

@ 2003-04-15  5:23   ` Andrew
From: Andrew @ 2003-04-15  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hmm its actually a 53c770, so i was incorrect there. I wasnt the one
who set it up under linux so i dont know what driver actually makes it
work. I can find out if youd like. Maybe if i get bored someday I'll port
one of them from linux to plan9. The mylex card at least works as a block
device, so could concievably be made to look like a drive fairly easily.

Thanks for the help/de-mystification.

Andrew